Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Type of roof jack for my roof.

Does anyone have a good idea on where to run a vent stack out other than the roof. We are using a new style roofing that has a profile like tile and the normal stack seals won't work. We want to maybe run it out the fascia to avoid the caulking and leaking nightmare.
Thanks
Billy

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

That make different types of roof jacks for all types of roofs. I'll move this thread to Roofing Forum, Ed might be able to tell you the type of roof jack needed for your roof type.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #3

Hello,

You can use a Dek-Tite flashing.
http://www.itwbuildex.com/dektite.htm

I believe they come in different colors but you would need to check with your local supplier.

Keith
roofboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #4

You didn't mention what brand of material or the manufacturers name of the product being used.

They usually carry accessories for their products for typical penetrations that meet their required specifications or they suggest an alternative product that is acceptable.

If you are speaking of a bathroom vent, it is NOT adviseable to run the humidity through the exhaust vent out of the soffit, especially if you have proper soffit freah air intake ventilation already in place. The intake soffit vents would carry the recently exhausted moisture directly back into the attic creating a mold breeding ground.

I believe it is allowable by some codes though, if the nearest soffit intake vent is at least 6 or 8 feet away. It is one of those figures, but I do not have the exact distance readily available, so use the 8 foot distance to be safe.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #5

Hello,

Ed - you are right about the type of product. Being a metal man I assumed he meant a metal tile type of roofing.

BillyD- Follow Ed's advise

Keith
roofboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:36 AM   #6

Thanks fpr the help. We do not know who makes the product a friend brought it up from central America. I did learn it is called a roof jack and not vent pipe flashing as I always referred to it. Also it is metal.
Thanks Again
Old 04-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #7

I forgot. This is for the vent stack and not a bath/shower vent so could it still go out the fascia board? In case we can not find a roof jack that will work with this roofing?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #8

Then is is probably venting sewer gas and would not be code, nor healthy to vent it out of the soffit. I don't even know how or why you would want to vent it through the fascia.

It needs to vent the sewer gas a certain distance specified by code, above the roof.

If you take a photo of the profile of the corrugated metal roof panels, someone sould steer you to the correct manufacturer for accessories. Otherwise, look up MBCI, and Metal Building Components Inc., and see if they have a similar flashing. The term "Roof Jack" gets used indiscriminantly, so it could mean multiple roof attachments or penetrations.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #9

thanks Ed Will see what I can find.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #10

OK, Here is the real story after calling my friend that I am checking this information for. The roof is metal but will have terracotta tile on top. This is were the problem comes in how to seal both. I am sorry for the confusion and I did chew him out.
Thanks
Billy