Two Roofing Opinions Needed - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

two roofing opinions needed

1st.

I'm considering redoing the roof on my garage myself. It's 20x60. How I'm going to do it is. I'm going to use 25yr shingles and totally going to rip the old off along with the OSB. I'm going to replace the OSB with plywood.

Now here's my question. After I lay the plywood down. I'm considering this. Can I paint a coat or two of oil based sealer "K I L Z" on it before I paper and shingle?

My assumption is this. If I put the sealer on it, I'll get more life out of the plywood and less of a chance of leaks in the future.

2nd.

You'll love this. Note picture below. My neighbor has a roofer re-doing her roof. I guess she needs some guidance right now. It has taken him 3 months now to replace this roof. For the past three days he hasn't been around and when he does, he works for about an hour then leaves for a couple of days. Well, this time it got him. Note the pouring down rain and he never protected the exposed roof. A nasty storm that dumped about 4 inches of rain over the course of 2 hours hit. Now there is NOT a spot on the ceiling of the WHOLE house that doesn't have water coming through it. Some places the ceiling fell in. The contractor is trying to get her to claim it on her insurance. What should she do??? She is so upset right now that she and her 3 kids (She's a single mom) had to get a hotel room for the night. Thanks for any input. Btw. The roof as you see it has been like that for at least 3 - 5 days.

Advertisement

jpalmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

First - waste of time and money to rip off OSB just to replace with plywood.

Second - it should go on the contractors insurance but I have a strong feeling that she didn't hire an actual roofer.

Advertisement

BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,186

Sadly.Your neighbor has been screwed.

I bet the guy drank her money and has none left to buy materials.

Lawyer and police--and another roofer.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
First - waste of time and money to rip off OSB just to replace with plywood.
Too late. Already have the plywood. However, Can I paint it with oil based kilz sealer before I paper and shingle? Or would that be more hindering than helpful?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

IN my opinion sealing the plywood may do more harm than good. Any potential for moisture to leave the plywood would be prevented by sealing it. For the same reasons you don't insulate the roof, just the ceiling in a home.....again, just my opinion.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
IN my opinion sealing the plywood may do more harm than good. Any potential for moisture to leave the plywood would be prevented by sealing it. For the same reasons you don't insulate the roof, just the ceiling in a home.....again, just my opinion.
Initially thought that as well, but it would be on the outside as opposed to the inside like you note with insulating the roof "and" the ceiling.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

2nd item, the neighbor

3 months!?!
I had a roofing company replace the roof on a 1800 sq ft home recently - they did it all in ONE DAY. Removed the old shingles, reflashed, changed out wood as needed, installed shingles, cleanup, etc. - all in ONE DAY.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,506

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalmos View Post
1st.

I'm considering redoing the roof on my garage myself. It's 20x60. How I'm going to do it is. I'm going to use 25yr shingles and totally going to rip the old off along with the OSB. I'm going to replace the OSB with plywood.

Now here's my question. After I lay the plywood down. I'm considering this. Can I paint a coat or two of oil based sealer "K I L Z" on it before I paper and shingle?

My assumption is this. If I put the sealer on it, I'll get more life out of the plywood and less of a chance of leaks in the future.
The only thing that’s going to keep your roof from leaking is a properly installed roof.
Painting the plywood isn’t going to keep your wet sheetrock from falling down.

Sorry for the neighbor, she should call your states attorney general.
I’ll assume she is a little old lady that got taken advantage of but if she had multiple bids from local roofers and chose this guy because he was a fraction of the price. Well then………………..my sympathy is fading.

Maybe you (good neighbor/roofer) should go fix her tarps for her.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-22-2011 at 08:08 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Sorry for the neighbor, she should call your states attorney general.
I’ll assume she is a little old lady that got taken advantage of but if she had multiple bids from local roofers and chose this guy because he was a fraction of the price. Well then………………..my sympathy is fading.

Maybe you (good neighbor/roofer) should go fix her tarps for her.
Good assumption that it is a little old lady, but even worse. The person that is living there is just renting it and really isn't all that good of a person. The OWNER is a little busy as she is doing a 1 year tour in Iraq. She is the one that called the roofer and paid him in full. I've been talking to her giving her updates as she is already not happy with him. She is a little pissed that the renter only notified her when the water started coming through all the ceilings.

Had I not been in the middle of driving my other car, I would have tarped it up the best I could before the storm hit. I'm NO roofer by any means, but I sure am good at cutting holes in them.

Last edited by jpalmos; 08-22-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Everyone pretty much covered your first question.And I agree BUT

For the second question my reply is

IDIOTS!!!!!!

And 3 months???,,,on a walker like that?,,,From a guess that house is probably around 25-27sq.

I could do the job myself in a few days.I am confident I could do 8sq.off and on.If I had to (No help at all).,.,and I would if I knew rain was on me.

There are many ways to prevent water infiltration.
Felt,tarps not tearing off more than you can put back.Not taking 3 months to do a 1 day job with a crew or a couple by yourself.

Last but the most important,do not take a job YOU CAN"T HANDLE!!!!

That is some very sad stuff.But someone should have been appointed to oversee this project.The renters are generally not helpful to inform the owners of property issues.

I have several customers that have had interior damage and the renters would lay out pans and buckets to catch the water or throw drywall away without informing them that a storm removed part of the roof.

It is jokers and posers like that who make it rough for other guys.If he works like that then he is uninsured I am sure.

Advertisement

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 08-22-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote