Two Fold Question On Roof Venting And Insulation - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

two fold question on roof venting and insulation

I have a vaulted metal roof. I have used baffles and r 28 and vapor barrier, blocked the end at the peak were it attaches to the gable end of the house on the outside i have a rain guard. My understanding is between each rasfter creates its own void that has to vent. I was wondering if I could drill say a 1" hole through each rafter venting into the sofit. if not i have to drill a hole and vent each void my alternative thought was drill close to the house extended the rain guard another 6 inches and since the roof is baffled the would be a gap about 3/4" high by 3" inches wide. I would prefer to vwent sideways. My last question is i ran the baffle right up to the ledger beam but have left them loose to deal with the venting issue so should i run the insulation right up to the ledger or leave a gap. the voids theat the rafters create are 16 ft long 14.5" wide and 8.5" deep. I am not sure what the adequate hole size is to vent that much air spaceany help would be appreciated as this is the last part of the project and is holding me up.

Advertisement

brutherb is offline   Reply With Quote