Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tubular Skylight - Flashing Issue

I recommend not opening any more threads on this subject
You don't need 5 threads on the same issue

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

thank you , I wont. my apologies, I am new to this ... I attempted to delete the others but was unable to do so.

lrsuffi@yahoo.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Best bet would be to remove all those shingles and start afresh.

Anyway, flash with the 50/50 rule, like this. http://www.albertsroofing.com/Power%...stallation.htm

Most are round and 1/2 the flashing gets hidden, other half exposed..
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

I went and retrieved one of the original posts, so this thread is not so confusing.

This should be the 1st Post from the poster, Read Below:

Ed

Hello, we are remodeling our bathroom (upper level main bath) and would like to install one of the "tubular" skylight kits, since they are pretty inexpensive and seem to be reasonable easy for a non-pro to install. Our issue is this ... our roof is very pitched and has THREE layers of shingles on it. We are worried about rain, snow leakage ....It seems as though his could present some issues with the flashing thickness, etc. HAs anyone encountered this scenario? Does anyone have any recommendations as to one brand over another? Would it be beneficial to order a larger diameter tube over a smaller one? Any suggestions/help wold be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Laura
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

For a small bathroom area, the smaller one will do fine.

You may have problems though, due to the excessive amount of layers of shingles on the roof currently.

Follow the instructions on the kit and you will also need to remove and replace the shingles in the surrounding area where the tubular skylight is to be installed.

They work better than I could have ever expected and are very easy to scribe through a drywall ceiling with a keyhole saw and follow the template and just trace out that diameter of a hole.

Sun Tunnel was the brand that I used, but I think that now, Velux bought them out and you can find them on their website, plus I have seen them at the big box stores.

The top portion and the left and right portions of the flashing will require the adjoining shingles to be installed on top of that sheet metAL, but the bottom portion, meaning the section closest to the eave edge, will need to go on top of the existing shingles.

Stripping in the left, right and top portions with some Ice and Water Shield might be a good idea for a DIY project too, just to minimize the potential for leakage.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you so much for going to the trouble to rerieve the post.
I really appreciate the feedback. What you suggest makes loads of sense... I am now excited about going forward with this project and am heading out to Lowe's in a few minutes. Thank you .

lrsuffi@yahoo.c is offline   Reply With Quote