Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

trying to patch flat roof - leak in seam

I have a leak on my second floor ceiling so went to inspect the roof directly above it. It looks like part of a seam is loose and that water penetrating under the roof. To make things worse, there are dips and indentations that force the water to pool in sections (including this one).

I have no idea what material the roof is made from -- it's some kind of rolled roofing.

Since it's cold and it's been wet, I bought some Henry 208 rubber wet patch "muck" and started to coat the seams. I've included a picture (see attachment) to give you an idea of what I did to the seam -- that large patch to the left is a former patch. I did the thin line.

My questions are:
am I doing this correctly?
how much should I apply?
should I also add the mesh fabric to solidify the patch?
am I better off getting a new roof?

thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
trying to patch flat roof - leak in seam-roof.jpg  

Camera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #2
43 years in construction

You are patching an improper installation and will be forever fighting an uphill battle. The photo appears to be asphaltic roll roofing with a granulated surface which is not designed nor recommended for flat surfaces. Flat roofs require conventional tar-and-gravel systems or the newer single membrane roof systems such as EPDM or PVC having heat welded or solvent welded seams. Patching tars are only temporary solutions.

Rick

Arkitexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
liscenced electrician

How much pitch does the roof have? You probably need a new roof, if your just trying to make it through winter, use some fiberglass mesh and tar the crap out of it, then get a new roof in the spring. Can we see a picture that is backed up a little bit farther. To see what is actually going on?
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote