Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #1

Share |

TRYING to Install Gutters

I know I shouldn't take on the task of installing gutters myself. But, I live alone and all my friends have their own lives so I don't have anyone that actually KNOWS what they're doing to come help.

I snagged a scaffold from my maintenance guys (since I work in property management) and got everything set up to get the brackets installed on the fascia board one section at a time. That way I could walk the scaffold and feed the gutters through the brackets for each section. (I got the Severe Weather brand at Lowes since I'm just thrifty like that)

Well, I couldn't get the first screw even drilled in I even tried a drill bit at half the size of the screw and they both get to a certain point in the fascia and will NOT go any further. Maybe I just don't have the brawn to force it through...

It doesn't appear that there should be anything in the way so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong...Any ideas? I really don't want to have to pay someone to put up the gutters when I genuinely feel that I can do it myself - if I could just get the screws in! Ugh.

I'm frustrated. I need my gutters up before I can get back to the more fun things like finishing my landscape beds lest they just wind up being a muddy pool through our coming wet winter.

*sigh*

lpyrbby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lpyrbby For This Useful Post:
JohnDsouza (09-20-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

How many volts is your Drill ?.,Is it battery operated or electric ?

If your drill is a small style used for hanging pictures or tightening that pesky drawer knob or skillet handle that keeps backing out.Then you need something with some you know what.

Is your drill bit proper for the task ?.,Not trying to insult anyone but the wrong bit will hamper your endeavor.

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
How many volts is your Drill ?.,Is it battery operated or electric ?

If your drill is a small style used for hanging pictures or tightening that pesky drawer knob or skillet handle that keeps backing out.Then you need something with some you know what.

Is your drill bit proper for the task ?.,Not trying to insult anyone but the wrong bit will hamper your endeavor.

It's a "cheap" drill but one I thought efficient for the job. An 18v Power Smith compliments of Northern Tool. Battery operated and the battery had a full charge.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #4

Oh and the bit, I believe is proper. The head of the screw fits snugly in the driver bit. And the drill bit I used to pre-drill the hole was 1/2 the size of the screw but both are stopping in the same spot. I might just not have the physical power myself to push through whatever it may be.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

You can drill the hole larger than that. The hole should be just slightly smaller than the screw shank. Are you using actual gutter screws?
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
You can drill the hole larger than that. The hole should be just slightly smaller than the screw shank. Are you using actual gutter screws?
Yes, they're the Genova brand gutter screws. I won't be trying the gutters again til this weekend but I'll try the next size up on the drill bit and see.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
RFN-4A-LVN

I am not familiar with that brand of drill.Does it have a speed or torque setting ?.,Are your drill bits a cheap version?.,Are the bits for wood?
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
I am not familiar with that brand of drill.Does it have a speed or torque setting ?.,Are your drill bits a cheap version?.,Are the bits for wood?
Can I post links?

This is what I got: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4674_200314674
Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
Framing Contractor

You would be surprised how cheaply a gutter company could do that for. I have done construction for 28 years and unless it is one very simple gutter, I will call someone. That drill may not have enough torque to put those in. If you know someone with a cordless impact, you will be amazed at the difference. Is the drill just stopping?
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
You would be surprised how cheaply a gutter company could do that for. I have done construction for 28 years and unless it is one very simple gutter, I will call someone. That drill may not have enough torque to put those in. If you know someone with a cordless impact, you will be amazed at the difference. Is the drill just stopping?
No, when it gets to a certain point with the screw, the screw stops and the bit jumps out of the head and spins. If I can't get it myself, I'm going to have to pay someone to put it up. It's a 50ft stretch of roof, single story. Should be simple. Ugh.