Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trimming window with vinyl siding

My vinyl siding contractor trimmed my window and put screws in the corners. Are screws supposed to be exposed like this on vinyl siding. He told me there is no way to put up VS without exposed screws or trim nails. I've never seen this. I've suspended the project for now. He said he also couldn't do my arched windows without exposed screws. Is this common?

Knot88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

I've never once used any screws when siding.
There will be exposed trim nails if he's wrapping the coil stock around the trim and fascia's.
Arched windows are done with a flex moulding and there of no need for exposed fasteners.
Really going to need a picture to see what he's doing.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Knot88 (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Home Performance

Rewards Points: 582

+1 on a picture.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #4

Sorry, I was having issues getting back on here. The contractor is meeting with me Thursday an says that he may have another option. Hmmm, don't know how I can be muchh clearer..I sent him a pic of what I want and it had no screws! Thanks for replying, I knew I wasn't imaging things!
Attached Thumbnails
Trimming window with vinyl siding-img_20140513_092455.jpg  
Old 05-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #5

There's no excuse for that mess.
Should have been trim nails not screws, it's not even cut so the corner meets to a point at the corner.
What that black poop around the coil stock?
Also the trim should not have stuck out beyond the window frame.
Now there's a ledge at the bottom of the window where water can get in.
Knot88 (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #6

He told me that's the only way to do it but I knew that wasn't right! Glad I found this site! I know nothing about siding but could tell right away that was wrong. He has only done my chimney and this window. You don't want to see the chimney! Thanks!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #7

Oh yes we do!
If he messed that up why is he doing the windows?
Show me one picture on here where's there's screws showing.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...trim&FORM=IGRE
Have him take a walk around your area and have him show you where anyone used screws, (any jobs he screwed up do not count"
Knot88 (05-14-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
Home Performance

not enough info to comment here despite above comments. I have conflicting feelings here. On one hand, if you are installing replacements into an existing clad aluminum exterior you have nearly no choice but to use zip screws for trim attachment, and a lip to caulk to is desireable. That said, the exterior profile of the window looks to me like an Alside Excalibur ($189 special) or perhaps Champion, which would indicate the the opposite of a good install (in my professional opinon). The "poop" as reffered to above could be entirely attributed to a poor original caulk job that was painted over and removed .
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeSealed For This Useful Post:
Knot88 (05-14-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #9

The wood would have been attached the wall to cover the nailing fin, then the coil stock would have covered the wood and been attached with trim nails.
How would a 1/2 long gutter screw have anything to do with attaching the trim to the wall when the trim they used is 3/4 thick?
If that's old caulking I would have removed what I could and painted it to match the siding before installing the trim.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #10
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

Right or wrong I cannot say, we only do roofing.

I know when I am doing metal roofing and I have a high visibility detail to do I would never use hex heads. I would opt for color match rivets because they are far less noticeable than the hex heads... those are way too visible, your eye is drawn right to them.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
Knot88 (05-14-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #11

I'm curious to what his "other option". I'll give him a chance to tell me. He admitted to me that his guy did the chimney wrong but this was also after he said that was the only way to do it. I most likely will be cutting him from the job and finding a more reliable contractor. I had 3 bids and he was the middle guy. I appreciate the responses! I'll try to add pics of the chimney tomorrow. Ya'll will get a kick out of that!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #12
Home Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The wood would have been attached the wall to cover the nailing fin, then the coil stock would have covered the wood and been attached with trim nails.
How would a 1/2 long gutter screw have anything to do with attaching the trim to the wall when the trim they used is 3/4 thick?
If that's old caulking I would have removed what I could and painted it to match the siding before installing the trim.
1)We don't know that this is a full frame install with nailing fin.
2) As I mentioned previously, if it was a replacement window that went into a frame with an extruded aluminum exterior, it is not entirely uncommon to need zip screws for attaching the trim. If that is NOT the case, I can't really see another reason that they should be used.
3) 9 out of 10 window installation companies to not do touch up painting, and furthermore, the OP stated that this was his "vinyl siding installer". For the fact that I do not see vinyl siding in this pic, it is not unreasonable to assume that it will be coming, and covering the ugly paint areas.

Again, I'm not saying that this is or isn't a hack job, just need more info to tell. I've learned not to jump to conclusions on stuff like this after having stuck my foot in my mouth a few times.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 882

Even if it was in to an aluminum window two small color matched rivets would look a lot better. I've actually seen that "miter" before on my own home. A larger company "sold" my wife on some windows ironically they look a lot like the ones in the picture. I wasn't very happy but she was. The workmanship was lacking. I can't recall them using screws in the corners, I'm almost 100% sure they used trim nails.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #14

I don't have a pic of my window before the install, but I do know that it wasn't removed/replaced. I just never seen screws in siding like this. I'm not worried about the paint that was pulled off with the chalk, that will be covered by vinyl.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
Home Performance

Knot, if you could add some additional photos of different windows/areas, and perhaps from farther back it would provide the opportunity for a better assessment.