Trim At Corners - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 676

Trim at corners

I had ordered 18' pieces of PVC trim to use on the corners when I side. I've now been informed that it is backordered and won't be arriving for almost 4 weeks. I am set to start this coming weekend, but can't really go far without the corners.

1.) Do I wait till they arrive?
2.) Use shorter pieces and butt them together for the two story corners
3.) Install corners with OSB to fill the space and then I'd remove them and replace with pvc when they arrive??

4.) Other?

I should add that we are wrapping the house with 1" exterior foam, so maybe I can insulate it, wrap it and leave it unsided till it comes in.

Advertisement

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,238

Trim at corners

I would have started calling around to some other real siding supply company's to see if they stock it.
No luck there, I'd be holding off on the siding until it came in.

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,620

Trim at corners

As Joe said get on the phone...4 weeks??? forget that, you're in a metro area there's no reason you can't grab what you need off the shelf somewhere.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #4

Trim at corners

Without a location in your profile there's no way to suggest a different place to look.
Go to quick links to edit your profile with a location.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #5

Trim at corners

I'm in the Des Moines metro in Iowa. I only need two pieces to get me what I need for this weekend since we're having to take off and put back each side at a time. menards carries 10 ft lengths but nothing longer.

I'm not sure how the corners will go with the foam board. I'm thinking each corner might need to be built out 1" so it's even with the foam...and there'd be a solid surface to nail the corner to?? Not sure or I can wrap the corners with foam board and then trim
Old 04-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #6

Trim at corners

ABC Supply to the rescue....

Another question(s):

I have a box of cortex fasteners, but wonder if they will be long enough to go through the trim, 1" foam board and into the sheathing? Or do I need to install a plywood backing?

Also what is the preferred method for corners?
1. two 4" wide pieces butt joined
2. one 6" piece and 4" piece butt joined?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Trim at corners

i don't understand why you wouldn't get the pre-made corners,but any way the corners of many houses are not really insulated adequately so in my opinion you want the foam under the corners,i personally would not use ply as a backer at least not unprotected ply

the screw length is 2 3/4'' so you should hit in to the framing about 3/4 which is fine if you follow the recommended spacing

good luck with your project
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:47 PM   #8

Trim at corners

Use trim head ceramic coated decking screws.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #9

Trim at corners

why would he do that when he has the proper screw and plug Joe?The Cortex system is the right choice

op there are different plugs for different trim manufacturers,the white is a little different for each brand of trim
Old 05-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #10

Trim at corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
why would he do that when he has the proper screw and plug Joe?The Cortex system is the right choice

op there are different plugs for different trim manufacturers,the white is a little different for each brand of trim
Yeah I figured that might be the case. Overall I don't think it will matter and there's a good chance when we paint the house, we'll just spray it all anyway.

to your above question about premade corners.....A 20' pre made corner is $180. I'll use the pre made corners on the 10' sections which are reasonably priced. I can get a similar look with a little effort for half the price. I need 6 corners which puts me right around $1,000 just for the corners.
The Following User Says Thank You to cibula11 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #11

Trim at corners

well not really similar in look or how they are assembled,the pre made corners are mitered using a very strong locking miter joint detail that will never separate,from your post you seem to be using a butt corner

to answer your question you use the same width board but rip one the thickness of the stock your using,for example if using 3/4''x 3 1/2'' wide boards rip 3/4'' off one,over lap that with a full width board so you have 3 1/2'' on both sides

remember,there is alot of expansion/contraction with pvc,you can't just ''butt'' the joint,use the recommended joints and glue..pocket screws can help with assembly
Attached Thumbnails
Trim at corners-0510111533.jpg  

Last edited by Tom Struble; 05-02-2014 at 08:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (05-03-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #12

Trim at corners

I'm putting on the corners this weekend. I've got some pvc cement, but I'm wondering if mitering the two pieces together will be better than butting them? I know assembling the miters will be more challenging on an 18' piece. Are butt joints used more so than miters in this case?

Advertisement