Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tricky Cape Cod roof/insulation in Central KY

We are looking at a new roof for our cape cod in central KY. It's just time for a new one. However, there is a tricky situation in how we're currently set up as far as insulation. The upstairs "room" is insulated, but so is the roof itself in between the rafters. There are no soffit vents or baffles. The only ventilation is the gable vents on either side in the upper attic. What's tricky is there's a gas water heater in the side attic area that opens to the inside of the house for air (the door to the water heater is like a shutter).

When doing the roof, I THINK what we want to do is put in soffit vents with baffles and then insulation. The main reason I'm thinking baffles/insulation is that I don't really want air coming in from outside into the attic space and then into the house via the water heater door (like in the winter). So if I run a baffle all the way up the roof to the top level and then have insulation against that, I'd hope that will keep the side attic area away from the outside air.

Does that make sense? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

joshmarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Retired G.C.

I I understand you correctly, you basicly want to make the side attic part of the living space, that's fine as long as you can get the baffles the whole way up above the insulation.

CharlieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #3

That's essentially it yes. Currently the attic acts as "living space" and I'm hoping to keep it like that but meet the requirements for the new roof.
joshmarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Retired G.C.

The one issue I see is if you have an overhang, you may need to add some cats or a knee wall between the outside wall and the roof rafters that you can insulate, to allow that air to get to the baffles and not into the living space.
Charlie O
CharlieO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape cod, insulation, roof, soffit