Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Treehouse Roof Coating - 2/12 flat roof

I'm building a treehouse for my son in our Backyard.

I am going to use standard 3/4 plywood for the roof and would use a suggestion as to what I might coat the roof with to assist in standing up to the rain etc...

I do not want to spend a fortune on this...Would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Last edited by jjangell; 11-11-2009 at 09:30 PM.
jjangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I would use a peel and stick granulated cap sheet(sbs).You could also use ice and water shield and then shingle it.For that matter you could just double up 30#felt and shingle it,I mean it is just a treehouse.

johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #3

Can I shingle a 2/12 front is seven feet back is five feet. Did not think I would shed water and every dry out
Old 11-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #4

I think you would be fine.If you used ice and water under shingles,it would never leak,but if your on a budget I would use 30#.I wouldn't do it on a house,but it is a treehouse.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 AM   #5

If your really worried about it use peel and stick sbs. http://www.certainteed.com/products/...adhered/308491
Old 11-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

My uncle used to put roll roofing on his garage. It's like asphalt shingles, but in the form of a roll, like felt. You just nail it down and put roofing patch on the nail heads.

I made a dog house about a decade ago and got a piece of corrugated metal roofing and screwed it on with decking screws. It's almost totally flat, and it seem to be holding up. I put liquid nails on the screw heads and painted it all with house paint.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #7

The metal roof is appealing...But unfortunately the treehouse is within earshot of our bedroom and I can't imagine that I would be thrilled with that roof in the rain.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Be careful of your roof size, including overhangs: One-story detached accessory buildings used for greenhouse, tool or storage shed, playhouse or similar uses, provided:
1. The projected roof area does not exceed 120 square feet; and
2. The building is not placed on a concrete foundation other than a slab on grade.
From: http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/Permits/F...sp#questionone

And the side variance may be 3' to roof, check it out or an upset neighbor could report it and you tear it down or shorten the roof.
Be safe, Gary
Old 11-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Be careful of your roof size, including overhangs: One-story detached accessory buildings used for greenhouse, tool or storage shed, playhouse or similar uses, provided:
1. The projected roof area does not exceed 120 square feet; and
2. The building is not placed on a concrete foundation other than a slab on grade.
From: http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/Permits/F...sp#questionone

And the side variance may be 3' to roof, check it out or an upset neighbor could report it and you tear it down or shorten the roof.
Be safe, Gary
Gary,

Thanks for the information...You certainly know your stuff...I do appreciate it.

Do you work in construction in Seattle?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #10

PHP Code:
I think you would be fine.If you used ice and water under shingles,it would never leak,but if your on a budget I would use 30#.I wouldn't do it on a house,but it is a treehouse. 
JohnK- Are you saying that you wouldn't use the 30# felt and shingles on a house? What about the ice and water under shingles on a house with a 21/12 roof?
stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

No, I'm in Tacoma. With the home building economy as such, the City and County are looking for untapped sources of revenue......
Be safe, Gary
Old 11-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubits View Post
PHP Code:
I think you would be fine.If you used ice and water under shingles,it would never leak,but if your on a budget I would use 30#.I wouldn't do it on a house,but it is a treehouse. 
JohnK- Are you saying that you wouldn't use the 30# felt and shingles on a house? What about the ice and water under shingles on a house with a 21/12 roof?
Yes I would use 30# on a house,just not on a 2/12.I'd use ice and water on that pitch,I just see no reason for that on a pitch like that.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjangell View Post
The metal roof is appealing...But unfortunately the treehouse is within earshot of our bedroom and I can't imagine that I would be thrilled with that roof in the rain.
I can't say for sure what would bother you or someone else in your family, but I kind of doubt you'd really notice it -- it's small, and it's under a tree.

My shed has metal roofing over open purlins and I don't really hear it unless I'm standing inside it. Even then it's only a certain type of rain -- large drops with space between them, if you know what I mean... We put metal on the house and if you stop and think about it you might be able to tell that it sounds different when it's raining, but it's not the kind of thing that you actually hear (like a truck driving past, or a dog barking).
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjangell View Post
Can I shingle a 2/12 front is seven feet back is five feet. Did not think I would shed water and every dry out

I would use bituthene and drive some capnails around the border and leave it at that. If you have money for shingles, it will last longer and be more durable, but the above will keep water out on it's own for years.

I have also built a couple Ondura roof treehouses and that is relatively cheap and people like it. It comes in 8 colors. Here's the Ondura website.
Treehouse Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehouse Guy View Post
I would use bituthene and drive some capnails around the border and leave it at that. If you have money for shingles, it will last longer and be more durable, but the above will keep water out on it's own for years.

I have also built a couple Ondura roof treehouses and that is relatively cheap and people like it. It comes in 8 colors. Here's the Ondura website.
I ended up using a paint on roofing system from Gaco http://www.gacoretail.com/gacoroof.html

The roof is holding up well...My issue that I need a solve for is the area around the tree penetration. The water rolls off of the roof into the treehouse and the water runs down the tree and end up on the floor of the Treehouse.