DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

transition seam

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  hidden 1 
#1 ·
when joining 2 metal transition pieces which join asphault to metal roofing, what is used at the seam to prevent any leakage.

I have a small leak at the area where the 2 types of roofing meet and wondering if that may be where its coming in at.

#5 · (Edited)
Yup, we need more information, for example we know what sort of covering is on the main roof, and without that information we don't know how the transition between the higher and lower slopes should be detailed.

BTW, I can't enlarge that picture sufficiently to see the detailing at the eave, but especially a low slope roof like that one the roofing manufacturers typically specify a metal drip edge:

under the projecting edge of the metal roof and extending downwards over the exposed edge of the roof sheathing and at least the top of the fascia.

If the drip edge is not present and correct, water can run back up under the roof and damage the decking (sheathing) and/or under the top of the fascia and/or behind it, damaging materials at these locations.

#7 ·
I can can't be sure, looking at the picture, is the edge of decking (sheathing) exposed?

Attachments

#8 ·
Thats the 1 by 4s on top of plywood.Now has vinyl strip over it that lands on drip edge/ to gutter.
I have tried some 2ft wide alluminum coil ( already painted).And tucked it under 2nd and 3rd layer of shingles where leak/dripping .will try that spot ,if it dont leak ill run it all the way across.I think that straighter angle coil will bypass the angle of the transition(factory bend is a bit too far in).

will try to get pic

#9 ·
Got it working great now..heavy rains have hit a lot and no drips now!
Used the rolled alluminum coil(painted) 2ft wide by 15ft long and tucked it under 2nd to last row of shingles , allowing it to channel the rain onto metal roof(slight pitch),I sealed under it, where it lands on metal roof, to keep from shifting or movement later..will get pic in next few days

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.