Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2007, 01:10 AM   #1

Share |

traler house roof

I am new at remodeling stuff. I bought a trailer house that was 50% remodeled when the owners got a job out of state and have to sell it got it for a good price now just have to finish up his remodeling that he dint get to. I know the trailer is fairly old is there any kind of roofing work need on them I know I looked in stores and they have buckets of a tar like stuff do they need that or is thee things I can look for if I go up on the roof that would show it needs work on it.

davefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #2

traler house roof

If you are located in a trailer park or live near one, ask the management of the trailer park which roofer or trailer handyman specializes in those types of repairs.

Black tar or asphalt emulssion are not very good long term solutions if your roof is the thin aluminum with metal T-shaped ribs connecting the sections. The tar will dry out and crack and split and cause future repairs to be more difficult.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #3

traler house roof

hi
I am not even sure if it neds repired was just thinking becuse of age is there things I can get up on the roof and look for to see if it even needs any thing
Old 08-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #4

traler house roof

You are probably better off to not even walk on it if it is the thin aluminum type roof. You may break the seal of any existing caulking on the seams just by stepping on the roof.

Leave well enough alone or just do a visual inspection from a ladder without walking on thec surface.

Ed
Old 08-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #5

traler house roof

soory that is what I meant to say using a lader what would I look for not on the roof
Old 08-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #6

traler house roof

First I would have to know what type of roof it is.

Is it an thin guage sheet metal roof with a slight curved surface to it?

Is it a slightly pitched roof with shingles on it?

Are there meta bars which run across the width of it to splice the metal roof section panels together?

Do you have, or know someone who has a digital camera and knows how to upload several photos to this forum for a better look at the situation?

Ed