Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #1

Share |

Torched felt roof vs built up roof

What are your thoughts about built up roof vs torched felt roof? I understand that everyone is strongly attached to the type of roof they specialize in, but I'm hoping for some unbiased opinions! So far as I am aware, torched has a short lifespan but is easier to repair.

Thanks

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Properly applied they are both decent, also both easy for basic repairs. Built-up is kind of a generic term as there are many combinations you can do with the base, ply and cap. The more you put into it, the longer it will last but generally will be more costly up front as it's a little more involved. Torchdowns basically require a hammer, trowel and torch. Built-up involves much more equipment and set-up.

I really miss firing my kettle up. Poor thing only gets used once or twice a year if it's lucky.

Nothing beats a good BUR

Old 03-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
Low Slope Roofing

Torch roofs can be a good roof. But the problem is, the torch, or more specifically the lack of people who actually know how to run one any more. Although the same can be said about a hot roof (bur), mopping is a lost art form. Now depending on what it's going on if you want one of the best, 4 plys of felt a smooth cap sheet and a gravel. That roof will last a very long time, but expensive. BUR roofs will be more expensive in general, but IMO apples to apples (base and cap both systems) A bur will last longer. Repairs will be basically the same.

I got one hot job this year so far 113 sqs of tearing off a ballast, moping a 2" iso to concrete, a sbs base and smooth cap and gravel. The best part is the job is out of town. Man my guys are loving me right now. I hope to get two more next week.

Starting to see a few more asphalt roofs here and there.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

+1

People hate on BUR now because nobody does them and they are such a PITA to take off. When they are done right...they can last forever.

Seen a few torch down remains in this area and that was enough to kill my interest.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote