Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #1

Share |

Torch-down Roof

I have a house with a Torch-down that was installed about 1990 or 1991. I have done estensive on-line research into replacing this roof, since I like the look (the roof is quite visible from the street), and I am confident in tackling this project myself. I have also added on a small shed that is yet to be roofed, and my paln is to roof this first to get the technique down before doing the larger (35 square) roof. I cannot tell what the oringinal make is on the existing roofing, but it is not the 'granule' roofing that seems to available, with granules like one would find on 3-tab shingles. It is more like black 60-80 grit sandpaper (black). Is this the finish that you get with 'smooth' rolls of torch-down, or do the manufacturers simply not make this finish anymore? I really can't use the 'granulated' surfaces, since I get a lot of small debris from oaks on the roof that would be really difficult to clean with a surface that is as coarse as with these granules. I also don't like a surface that is devoid of any mineral finish due to looks and longevity. Any answers or leads on this would be helpful.

Last edited by Ken606; 06-04-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Ken606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
I know alittle about alot

Torch-down Roof

I highly recommend that if you have no experience with torch down do not try this yourself. one little mistake could cause a fire. There are afew different options you could look into and probably are more DIY friendly and have no open flames on the roof.

JWilliams850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Low Slope Roofing

Torch-down Roof

Ditto, Torch on is not a DIY project. Look at self adhered sheets instead.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #4

Torch-down Roof

Some info in the thread I started here...

roll options
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #5

Torch-down Roof

strongly agree. torch down is not a home owner roof install. i compare it to welding, might look easy and when your done it might look good. learning how much to heat the material up is the big thing, that and keeping the rolls straight. now they do have peel and stick, looks just like torch but you roll it out, peel the back and stick it down. you must have a clean surface or use a dry in base. cost a little more but better for the home owner, and safer. ive been doing torch for over 20 years and yes i made my share of mistakes on the first few. besides what do you think your insurance company would say if your burn your house down, well i was just using a big blow torch to put my roof on. either way good luck.
hotrod351 is online now   Reply With Quote