Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #1

Share |

a torch down problem crept up

I had a crew do my flat roof in 2008 put down a foam insulation board then the fiberglass type torchdown mat then the torch down.
Last year water began to stain my ceiling,
Seems the torch down shrunk away from the edges, just pulled back from the drip edge.
I used a siicone based caulking type sealer made for roofs to put a bead around the edge and it stop water infiltration, but I know thats temporary.
Do I put down another layer around the edge of torch down?
What causes shrinkage like that?

Dizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
I know alittle about alot

sounds like they didnt prime the eave metal before they installed the torch down

JWilliams850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #3

I bet your right, will a roofing supply have the primer?
And since its already shrunk would say putting a 1/2 wide tourch down patch be the fix?
Thank You:
Old 06-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

1/2 sheet would work. Cut the existing back so 2-3" of metal is exposed.
Now, it's time for me to be razzzed! I've seen mod-bit come loose from primed metal. Depending on the roof and visibilty/asthetics, etc., I run my mod-bit 2-3" over the drip edge and slowly and gently heat that on the underside and using my foot, or whatever is safe, I force if down over the edge. I only bend it over 45 degrees of so. It folds on down by itself later. Might be a bit outside the box, but I've never had a leak along the drip edge.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #5

ive been doing torch down for 20 years. iv gone over some pretty bad stuff and i say its like welding, if you dont know what your doing it might look good but comes apart. ive never had a torch roof come apart from the metal, and no i dont prime it. only had it lift from a seam when i started out doing it, because i didnt know how to do it right. its really better to heat it up to much than not enough. ive personally done 10,000 sq. foot homes with it with maybe one leak. the way the guy tested it when i said it was fixed was to plug the down drain and fill the roof up to the over flow drain to see if it would leak. didnt so ive got bragging rights but what a jerk. like a friend said, a roof is water tight not water proof, a pool is water proof. just sounds like they didnt do it right. coat teh whole thing with elasticmeric, 4 coats and youll be fine and its something you can do yourself.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #6

When the roofers left I noticed 1-3 inches hanging over I thought they didn't finish so I cut it back should have left it on I guess.
Hope it makes it as is until cooler weather this winter.
Thanks
Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #7

I'll remember too much heat better than too little.
That guy put a lot of weight on that roof, lucky your still here .HA!
Thanks
Old 06-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #8

thats what i was told, could of caved it in. after i fixed it he did it again, well i had bragging rights when it didnt leak. every one i told the story to started laughing, they didnt believe me at first. was really glad when the warranty was over. and when you say hanging over, do you mean hanging over the drip edge metal. in that case there were just lazy. also it should be stuck to the drip edge pretty damn good.

hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote