Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #1

Share |

Too far gone for Coating?

I live in Southern California . I have a 17 yr old modified bitumen flat roof. The warranty was for 12 years.
The roof does not show any evidence of leaking, but has a lot of cracks and
alligatoring. Water does pond in several places.
The roof reaches temps over 150 degrees in the summer and occasionally has
ice on it during the winter. Because there is no attic, upstairs is extremely hot
during the summer.
I was considering an elastomeric cool roof coating, but the product (Henry Envirowhite) from home depot recommends an asphalt emulsion for old and weathered roofs. Does this roof appear to be too far gone for this process? Would I need to embed a fabric in the emulsion? I plan on staying in the house for at least 10 more years.
I am calling to get roof quotes today, but wanted to get some opinions as well.
I appreciate any comments!

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
Too far gone for Coating?-img_0927.jpg   Too far gone for Coating?-img_0941.jpg   Too far gone for Coating?-img_0929.jpg   Too far gone for Coating?-img_0948.jpg  

cdonahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Metal Roofing

Looks pretty bad from the pics, it appears your due for a roof.

I would go continue to take bids and get it replaced. One thing is for certain, you will need to re roof within that ten years.

Why wait until it fails and causes costly interior repairs, be proactive.

AndyWRS is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
cdonahue (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #3

Thank you Andy

colin
Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

emulsion and mat is a viable option to extend the life a few more years. Properly applied and maintained every two or three years you can get 5 or 10 years added to it.

Stay away from anything HD sells and anything that says Henry's. Karnak has a decent emulsion.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #5

Dear Old and Broken, thank you for the information. I have seen many posts on this site say to stay away from Home Deopt.
I went to Karnak website, and ironically Home Depot is listed as one of their product purchase locations.

I know this is not a forum for bashing products or services, but I was curious about Henry products. They have been in business a long time and are a rather large company that seems to service industrial as well as residential.

Is the stuff they sell at HD their consumer line? or are you saying that their products in general don't measure up to most "professional" products.

I have also seen posts saying "stay away from roofing in a bucket"
I am a little confused by this comment because almost all the roofing materials I have seen are rolled material that is adhered with some product in a bucket!
I plan on getting a professional roofer for my project, but I am always interested in learning something new.! Even if they are old and broken
Colin
Old 08-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Haverhill Trade 1965

Elastomeric roof coatings are mostly good products. Some will not stand up to ponding water. My research says to pressure wash the roof, fabric over any real cracks. Unlike some products most can be re-coated. You should do some research to find the right one for your situation.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Doing This Way Too Long

The big-box stores tend to have the basic, lower-end products catering to the homeowner. I have nothing against them, it's just that there are higher quality solutions that can be found elsewhere. As far as Henry's goes, most of their products are on the lower end of the quality scale compared to others. They have served a market very successfully for decades and will continue to do so I am sure. That market is just generally not the serious or educated roofer.

What everyone is referring to when we talk about "roofing in a can" is that many people and, unfortunately, some roofers first solution when there is a roofing leak or problem is to break out the mastic and smear it all over hoping they solve the problem. It never does and actually just makes it that much more difficult and messy for us to repair when you finally get around to properly fixing the problem. Just remember that no liquid by itself is any decent much less permanent solution to a roof leak or issue. Those liquids are only effective when they are properly used with a ply sheet, cap, stratabond, webbing or some other type of reinforcement. That is what we are talking about when we balk about "roofing in a can" (this also includes anything in a tube btw).

As far as your roof goes, just "coating it" with elastomeric or any other product is just that, a coating. It will not hold up and will not solve your problems. Emulsion is basically a thin slurry of asphalt and clay but with a polyester mat embedded in it and a good uv coating (maintained every so often) it can add some life into a roof in that condition.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 08-25-2012 at 05:58 PM.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
Metal Roofing

henrys has its place, but it is too often mis used.

I have looked at a number of metal roof leaks over the last 20 yrs. The HO just went to HD or Lowes and bought Henrys and smeared it on to try to fix the leak. What they dont know, is that Henrys is not used on metal roofing. So the HO is componding the problem by coveing up the what should be an easy fix and causing the proper repair to cost them far more $.

The products you use on a roof are going to be spicific to the type of roof, you can't just Henry the crapola out of it...the big box stores idea of fixing leaks is probably to tell the HO " all you need is this bucket and a trowel"
AndyWRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #9

I got a couple of bids to replace my roof.

first one is the company that put roof on 17 years ago.It includes tear off old roof.
build up low spots with taper FIR strips install 1/2 cdx 3ply on existing 1x 6 slats
new flashing all around
nail down 25lb class a base sheet
hot mop
8lb "A" ply sheet, hot mop, 2nd 8lb ply sheet, hot mop (30lbs per 100 sq ft)
Title 24 78lb Fiberglass class "A" White mineral cap sheet.

Price includes plywood 9,500 12yr warranty

Second bid is basically the same but no plywood and suggestion of moving the drains instead of building up low areas.

Both companies provided insurance certificates.

One question is this. First roof was just one layer of base sheet and 78lb
modified butimen hot mopped to it. This lasted a pretty long time.
Do I need two layers of fiber glass under the cap sheet?

Colin
Old 09-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #10

I am in the process of getting bids for my new flat roof. I am trying to figure
out ways to make my upstairs cooler. Currently there is R13 insulation in the ceiling and no attic. Ceiling is drywall, r13 bats, 1x6x8 slats, base paper and then roofing material. I have 9 in joists.
One of my bids calls for 1/2 plywood to be nailed to the existing 1in slatted deck. before all the materials are mopped on.
I saw a picture from an Attic Foil
site where the guy laid down the radiant barrier on the roof deck, then nailed FIR strips and put the OSB on top of that leaving the necessary airspace for a radiant barrier. I think he used 5/8 osb. My project is bid with 1/2 3 ply plywood,
and I have a concern that it would not be very stable to walk on unless I doulbled the fir strips to 8 on center. Now I have a lot more heat transfer with wood to the deck . Does this sound like it is worth it. 5/8 plywood is too expensive, and I have heard negatives on this site about OSB, but Im in Southern
California where it is sunny a lot more than cloudy and rainy, and 5/8 OSB might hold up pretty well.
Any ideas on how to maximize my insulation?

Colin