Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #1

Share |

Timberline Hip and Ridge installation

Hi, I am putting a roof (myself) on a storage building next to my house. I had GAF Timberlines installed on the house last year, so I am matching them on the bldg.

The question has to do with the Hip and Ridge shingles. I see it is like a 3 tab shingle, but the cutout between each tab is on the back side. It seems backwards from a regular shingle that has the cut on the forward side where the color grit is located. I have searched everywhere on how to cut/install these. Any help?

Thanks.

Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #2

Any cap gets cut on the back side.
If you cut on the side with the granuals you would spend all day replacing the blade.

Marty1Mc (04-18-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #3

Thanks joecaption.

I probably didn't explain myself all that well. The "hip and ridge" shingle in the package seems strange. It is just like a regular 3 tab except the slots are on the rear of the front side instead where normally they are on the tab side. So the front side with granules is continuous with no gap/slot between the tabs and the back side that is normally hidden has the slots. The shingle is also double thick.

I guess I just cut the shingle in thirds from the middle of the slot forward. I also don't think I need to dog ear the rear of the shingle since the front portion will be wider. I wish I knew a better way to describe this shingle.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:22 AM   #4

Those caps are cut in the factory, you just need to fold back and forth a couple of times on the line to separate them. I assume you are using caps leftover from the house roof & don't have the wrapper they came in-- the instructions are on that--instructions are here: http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residenti...ingles/Z_Ridge
mgp roofing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mgp roofing For This Useful Post:
Marty1Mc (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #5

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed. The packaging was torn up when they were delivered, so I couldn't read anything. I've got them up now, roof is complete!