Three Year Old Roof Lifting Up - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Three year old roof lifting up

This is my neighbors house, it was foreclosed on. It just drives me crazy to have to look at that ripple. I am hoping to hop up on the roof and some how fix it. Let me know what you need to know and I will go up there and find out
Attached Thumbnails
Three year old roof lifting up-hpim1993.jpg   Three year old roof lifting up-hpim1994.jpg  

Advertisement

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 686

Was it put on this winter when it was still cold out?
Someone did not have there pressure set high enough or depth not set right so the nails are not set?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

Swollen or unnailed board, or plywood. That's an 8' lenght.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-10-2013)
Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 686

Any way to get in the attic and take a look?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

I guess we should not ask why you are worried about a foreclosed neighbors house, and you could look in the attic as Joe says but that really doesn't matter. You have to remove the shingles and maybe the underlayment in that area and see what going on, because it has to be repaired from the top. It may be buckled underlayment, and it may be buckled sheathing, either way you have to open it up.

You mean to tell me that your wife is out of honeydoos?????

Last edited by jagans; 03-11-2013 at 09:25 AM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Call the bank that is holding it, and inform them of the problem, same with your city or county that maintains the listing of foreclosed properties. You really do not want to go up there, without getting the gracing of the party holding the title to it, and even then, they may say no.

Now of course, if you and your neighbors keep the property looking good, because the holding company does nothing with it, I would get together and still let the holding company know that it is become a danger to others, and spell out that if they do not fix it, for the concern of the general public that lives in that area, you would like to make temp repairs, so that a blue tarp does not have to be thrown over the roof, to make it look detracting from the neighborhood values.

That is just my two cents.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

I am amazed that some people have so much time to worry about something that has absolutely nothing to do with them, if that is indeed the case. How does a roof problem on a remote location pose a danger to the neighbors? Oh I get it, you are staring at the roof, you walk out into the street without looking for traffic, WHAM, Game Over.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I am amazed that some people have so much time to worry about something that has absolutely nothing to do with them, if that is indeed the case. How does a roof problem on a remote location pose a danger to the neighbors? Oh I get it, you are staring at the roof, you walk out into the street without looking for traffic, WHAM, Game Over.

The problem I can see, is if there is a Wind event during a storm, the material lifts and damages others, or even the fact that if the home is left to fall apart, it starts dropping the property values of other homes in the neighborhood, along with making it harder for those who are private sales, to get their homes sold at a decent price.

Yes, there is a concern on this, that even I myself would look at it as something that needs to be taken care of, not let go by the company holding the house, due to the foreclosure.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #9

The way the house was explained to me is, the bank has turned the home over to the sheriff department. He is still living there, waiting for the sheriff to give him notice. He could end up living there for at least another year. My picture window of my shop looks out right at that botched roof job and it drives me crazy. I already had to rehang the gutter because it was just pouring down in my driveway. This house is in inner city Cleveland. If this house ever starts to break down the neighbors will start hauling the house away piece by piece. Starting with the ac unit, followed by the copper pipes, the doors and windows. One house around here someone actually dug up the shrubs in the yard. It is an old area and many people around here do not like trouble. The house two doors down from me is section 8, rented by the most disgraceful humans I have ever met. I need to keep things up around here for everyone's best interest.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Then I would not worry about it, since it is not going to do much else to the property values.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Looks like something is up with the sheathing under those shingles. Worse case scenario. All shingles above sheathing will need to come off. New 4x8 installed. 3 bundles of shingles. Its not a bad job. A roofer could do it in an hour. Or my roofer did when a branch went through my roof. How much my roofer charged me 500 dollars. New 4x8 osb 3 bundles landmarks. Matched beautifully. Insurance adjuster paid it. Saying i was going to pay more. Insurance adjuster showed up when he was on the roof. He said how much does he want i said 500. He said i was figuring more so here is the check.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
If this house ever starts to break down the neighbors will start hauling the house away piece by piece. Starting with the ac unit, followed by the copper pipes, the doors and windows. One house around here someone actually dug up the shrubs in the yard. It is an old area and many people around here do not like trouble. The house two doors down from me is section 8, rented by the most disgraceful humans I have ever met. I need to keep things up around here for everyone's best interest.
PD,
I live in the suburbs near you. I got news for you, the ripple in the roof isn't going to make a bit of difference to the hood rats when they decide to start stripping the house. As soon as they know the house if vacant, look out. If your neighbor is still living there, ask him if he'll let you in to take a look in the attic.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #13

Oh, fire hawk I am still waiting for the great Cleveland revival. I am thinking when gas becomes very expense everyone will want houses close to downtown.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
Oh, fire hawk I am still waiting for the great Cleveland revival. I am thinking when gas becomes very expense everyone will want houses close to downtown.
I hear ya, Pd.
I keep waiting for some real lakefront development. I don't think Mayor Jackson is a visionary. I think he's basically honest, just not a ball of fire.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

It's probably not a good idea to slap a bandaid on the real issue and seeing as it's your neighbor's roof, I doubt you want to spend your own money on it, understandably. Best bet is to get get a contractor to give you a free estimate and it can help you get to the bottom of the real issue. Seeing as the house has been foreclosed, not being able to get into the home to take a proper look may be an issue. good luck.

Advertisement

richdv is offline   Reply With Quote