Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Are these shingles ok or need replacement asap

I have a roof that's not great and to spec, but still usable. The contractor I talked with suggested I get the most out of the life of the roof then reroof when time comes rather than do patch job fixing it now (or reroof when roof still usable).

The roof inspection called for some work to be done (for the patch job), which included removing a DIY walkway cover between two roof eaves. The previous owner removed that and left the associated shingles of that (just took out the board) on the roof. I went up to look today and noticed that. Because there has been some rain lately, removing those piles of shingle, I noticed the good roof shingles where the piles lay on top have some loose gravel and lost their brown color. But looks kinda ok.

I wanted to know whether you think they need replacing now or soon or they are still usable for quite a while. See photos.

http://dldatastor.s3.amazonaws.com/p.../shingles1.jpg

http://dldatastor.s3.amazonaws.com/p.../shingles2.jpg

daluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 0

Are these shingles ok or need replacement asap

Quote:
Originally Posted by daluu View Post
The contractor I talked with suggested I get the most out of the life of the roof then reroof when time comes rather than do patch job fixing it now (or reroof when roof still usable).

I wanted to know whether you think they need replacing now or...
Based on what I can see from here...
I'd say that contractor has a good handle on things.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote