DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

thermostat and humidity controls for electric attic fans

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ed the Roofer 
#1 ·
I am completing a 3300 square foot shop and am using two electric gable end fans. The shop is split into two sections and one fan will be in each section. ( wasnt my choice but I am stuck with it)

My problem is this I have two heavy duty 220 volt gable fans that i got for very cheap that are new, quite,efficient and move enough air to solve all the venting needs I should encounter but I am not finding thermostat or humidity sensors capable of handling their electrical load.

The fan motors are 1/3 hp, start up amperage could hit 8 amps and probably stabilize at about 3 to 4 amps per motor. I want to vent this via temp and humidity and would be happy if I could find something to do either side and just wire it up via both switches but I would really like to find one combo unit.

One other option is to just run the fans on a timer and guess a little about how long and what times during the seasons to run the fan but I would really like to find a solution. I could install a temp gauge and humidity sensor and probably figure this out a little more accurate than just turning them on and off but I have to think with all the large buildings out there theres got to be 220 volt switches available for my needs. The shop i have now suffers from improper ventilation and its exceeds draft style venting codes and they are free and clear. And I am going to do what ever i can to cure this in my new shop.

Any one have any thoughts

Thanks
Andy

See less See more
#3 ·
Have you stopped at an electrical supply house for contractors to ask them?

Ask for a referral from the supply house too.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.