DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Thanks

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ed the Roofer 
#1 ·
I just wanted to thank you guys for taking the time to try to educate us homeowners. I learned more about roofing than I ever thought I would while trying to do my research. (and am still learning)

We just had the new roof installed earlier this week. Had I not asked/made sure they used the magnetic roller to clean up all the nails, I would have had my young kids and my dog walking all over the yard with the stuff. I didn't even know they made such a tool had I not read the roofing forums.

I asked neighbor #2 why they chose XYZ company, which was recommended by neighbor #1. "Because they said they could get it done in 1 day." ACK. Not a good reason for me. I found that particular company had some inconsistencies in their addresses/license number, etc. Didn't talk about ventilation with me at all. When I brought it up, they basically would have just maintained the status quo, whether it was the right way to do it or not. We chose someone else.

Now I have to look around for pictures of good installations. The ridge cap looks a little wavy on my garage, and I don't know if it's supposed to look that way b/c of the ridge vent they put in, or if it needs to be corrected. We went with architectural shingles rather than 3-tab, so the whole thing has more texture. Maybe I'm just not used to it.

Anyway ... just wanted to thank you all for this great resource.

See less See more
#2 ·
The wavey caps could be,
1) they simply need to lay down yet,
2) fasteners ran in to far,
3) fasteners not ran in far enough, or not enough used.

Problem 1 will cure itself, 2 and 3 won't, but it's a fairly easy fix if it is 2 or 3, so call and ask your roofer about it.
I'm sure there are other possible reasons, but those are the ones that come to mind.

#3 ·
Or, is it just lifted at the gable ends?

Sort of like a Chinese Pagodo.

If that is what it is, and the ends swoop upwards, that is because the bearing wall under the end does not settle downward like the rest of the ridge does. The rafters and/or trusses will dip downwards the more they get away from the outside bearing walls.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.