Temperature - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Temperature

Heard that you're not supposed to lay shingles when it's 40 or below outside. how does that work in winter with the builders up north. Is it a different grade of shingle or what.

Advertisement

Toolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Residential Roofer

Rewards Points: 500

Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmaster View Post
Heard that you're not supposed to lay shingles when it's 40 or below outside. how does that work in winter with the builders up north. Is it a different grade of shingle or what.
All manufacturers have a low temp suggested, but only a few have a low temp demanded.
Meaning the majority of shingles can be installed in temps lower than freezing, there are additional steps/procedures for low temp installation and it will decrease daily production but it can be done and still meet manufacturer spec's.

Advertisement

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Temperature

Builders care more about budget and schedule than they do about quality. Furthermore many roofing companies in my area care more about keeping busy than quality because chances are if you are doing new construction you are not charging enough $$$ and have no savings so you MUST work or starve. These same roofing companies would rather "risk" making a mistake and fix it if it laks at a later time, meaning a leak and head aches for the building owner, but hey who cars right they got to work.

There are cold weather tips and techniques like keeping the shingles warm, which isn't realilstic IMO since a good crew can bang up a square in a half hour per roofer (after t.o). Where ya going to store 20 squares? Hand nailing is another cold weather technique. CertainTeed master shingle applicator manual suggests sealing each tab with roofing cement. One guy in Alaska says he tarps off entire buildings, like masons do in my area.... The problem I have with all this extra work is that who is going to compensate me for the extra time? If I take on extra risk for less reward, I might as well stay home. There's enough risk already. Then again if I am going to take on more risk for more money, we can talk.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Residential Roofer

Temperature

Agreed, if the builder is not willing to pay for extra's than I won't be the one out there installing their roofs.

I supply a list of all possible extra cost items to the Builders/GC's I work for so they know to expect to pay more on winter installs.

I have to remove snow before installing the roof, that's an extra.
I have to have a "warm" area to heat any shingles that will be formed through valley's or ridge caps, that's an extra.
I have to use tarps for easier snow removal, that's an extra.
I have to use additional scaffolding for added safety issues, that's an extra.

Fortunately the Builders/General Contractors I work for don't fight me on my extra's, they will question them from time to time but once I explain what's what they are ok with it being that their roofs are getting done on time with out sacrificing quality.

Edited to add:
I can think of several builders/gc's in my area who do worry more about dead lines than quality,
but not all builders/gc's are like that, the majority of builders/gc's maybe, but not all.
A few in my area that care enough to wait/pay a few extra bucks to get it done right,
Don from Restle Builders, Tim from Kinowski Construction, Steve from Delucia Construction, Gene from Russo Builders, etc.

Last edited by Slyfox; 02-06-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
MJW

Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmaster View Post
Typically that is a myth told by companies who have labor that goes South for the winter.

We have put on roofs for 30 years working year round here in MN, and had very few problems. In the last 5 years, we have had no problems, but that may be because we have better quality control with fewer guys now.

I would trust a roof put on in the winter over a roof installed in 90+ degree temps. The shingles actually work better cold than they do when the temps get above 80.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
Residential Roofer

Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Typically that is a myth told by companies who have labor that goes South for the winter.

We have put on roofs for 30 years working year round here in MN, and had very few problems. In the last 5 years, we have had no problems, but that may be because we have better quality control with fewer guys now.

I would trust a roof put on in the winter over a roof installed in 90+ degree temps. The shingles actually work better cold than they do when the temps get above 80.
I agree, extreme heat during installation is at the least as bad for the shingles as what the cold is.

Advertisement