Temko Ice Ands Water With Cedar Shakes - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2008, 01:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Temko Ice Ands Water with Cedar Shakes

I have read a lot of good comments about using Tamko Ice and Water.

How would this be used with cedar shakes? Is it only used in valleys and at the drip esge or should/can it be used in place of felt?

Thanks

Fred Mc.

Advertisement

freddmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I'm not expert but have done quite a few roofs now and am a huge fan of ice and water shield. I''ve never heard of your type of ice and water but as long as you buy a good quality you'll be fine. Once it's down though don't try to get it back up so get right the first time. Grace is alot of money but again well worth it. I couldn't afford to do my whole roof but did two rows up from the edge and then one row up both sides, I then did the whole thing in tar paper.

Advertisement

DaleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

For your Cedar Shake roof, with the spaced board skip sheathing, you MUST NOT felt directly over the decking, either with 30# felt or any version of ice and water shield.

The shake liner felt I informed you about in the other thread, gets overlapped onto the shakes, per the instructions in the Cedar Shake and Shingle bureau specifications I provided for you in the other thread. This raises the felt up, alowing air to pass through.

Ice and water shield should be installed on the gutter eave edges, so that it goes a "Minimum" of 24" past the exterior heated wall, starting from the eave edge. It may be one row or 2 rows, depending on how wide your soffit overhangs are.

Yes, install it in the valleys too, but also remember that you need a sheet metal valley on top of that.

Grace is the premium, but I have heard good things about the Tamko version.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks you Dale and Ed.
I'm not dissagreeing here but only trying to educate myself on the whys and wheres of felt/ice and water.

When my roof was done 20 years ago (24 in shakes-resawn on one side and space board skip sheeting) felt was applied to the entire roof and then the shakes were nailed on. There are metal valleys and I don' think that ice and water was applied under the valleys.

I'm sure there has been great improvement in the products (other than the shakes) in that time period. Is it because there are better product now that it is recommended to apply the felt in the manner you (and the cedar associations reccommend) or was my roof done wrong 20 years ago? I presume then, that if my roof was done wrong last time that had it been done the correct way , I would have gotten longer life out of the roof.

I know that methods of construction change continously and am wondering if this is one of those areas where better products have resulted in different methods.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks

Fred McNeill
freddmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

The Ceadr Bureau has not shanged their specifications much since 20-25 years ago.

I have installed shaked on solid plywood by architects specifications, but never cedar shingles.

Ice and Water shield was a relatively new product 20 + years ago and did not have the following it does now because of its proven benefits.

Cedar breather was invented to create air flowage when installing on a solid deck, such as plywood. It is costly, but will allow the Cedar to last longer, thusly it costs less to do it right.

Cedar shingles should last up to 50 + years if properly installed. I rarely see cedar shakes properly installed, so they look like heck way before 20 years usually. More younger trees are used instead of older hard woods now.

Don't go with "Mediums" even though they cost less, go with "Heavies" whick will not warp or split as readily.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote