DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tell me about roof coatings for an older roof

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  OldNBroken 
#1 ·
I live in Florida and have a house with a low sloped roof, and also sections of flat roof covering the car port/utility room/porch. The sloped part of the roof is shingled, which I later found out from a roofer was done incorrectly since the slop of the roof was not high enough for shingles.

So far it's been holding up alright although it's starting to show signs of age. I had to spread a patch over a section of shingles to stop a leak which has worked very well. I'm also getting a low spot in the flat roof above the porch which is ponding water, just the other day I removed probably 50 pounds worth of loose granules in the area it was ponding. I'm going to be sweeping as much of the loose granules off as I can so they don't hold any moisture.

I probably need a new roof but in no way can afford it. I was hoping to extend the life of the roof a bit by applying an Acrylic Latex Silicone Coating / Sealer coating that sells at Home depot. For the ponding issue I was thinking of using something like this to help http://elastek.com/products/basecoats-sealants/puddle-plaster/.

Now I know this would only be temporary, I'm just trying to buy some time until I can afford a new roof. I was thinking the coating might actually help seal the shingles since they shouldn't even be on my roof to begin with. Also the reflective qualities of the coating should help significantly reduce roof temps and reduce energy costs.

But the problem is I'm not finding a whole lot of info on these coatings since they are fairly new to the DIY market. Would it be worthwhile investment, and be able to extend the life of my roof for at least a few years?

See less See more
#4 ·
Manufacturers will say it will hold back Niagra Falls if they think they can get away with it. I've seen too many crap products from the big-box stores that are actually detrimental for any future work done on your roof.

I don't know anything about that product in particular. I can only tell you that ANY coating on a shingle roof is going to be VERY temporary at best because it is not a solid surface. You are adhering to a material that is already falling off.

Coating your flat roof is a different situation. There are many products a DIY'er can install that would be an effective temporary repair. Look into emulsion and mat. Done properly and maintained properly you can get years of "temporary" repairs out of it. Elastomerics and acrylics are other options. Any option on a flat roof should include the mat for best performance.

#2 ·
Are you looking to coat the shingles or the flat roof? Coating the shingles will do you little if any good. Whatever you are trying to do I do not recommend buying any coating from a big-box store. You will get much better options and products at a paint or roofing supplier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.