Tear Off Or Re Roof? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tear Off or re roof?

I have a leak in my roof down by the drip edge. I am weighing my options. Do a completer tear off, do a tear off around the leak and follow the problem then layover on the rest? I will not be doing a layer over on the leak area. There is a $1200 difference in price for the contractor to do it. That $1200 would help me do a lot of interior work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Advertisement

jscorpion82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

Tear Off or re roof?

How bad is the roof? Got any pictures?

I look at this way, if you already have a leak how are you going to be able to inspect the rest of the roof for bad sheathing without removing the shingles and paper.
I've past on doing roof overs many times if there in really bad condition or have been leaking. I do not get paid to keep going back and finding leaks and replacing blown off shingles.

How many squares and how many stories is the house?
Did there quote include drip edging and Strorm and Ice Sield on the lower edge of the roof?
Just trying to get an idea on what other people are charging.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Tear Off or re roof?

It is a single story. 20sq total . The area around the leak is about 4sq. Price does include drip edge and ice shield.
jscorpion82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 632

Tear Off or re roof?

The price for the tare off is about right. It's a lot of back breaking work but well worth it in my opion.
May sound silly but make sure it's in writing that that includes hauling it away and clean up.
Not often but I have seen a company rake them off the roof and left them on the ground and wanted more money to clean it up and haul away.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote