Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

Tar on roof instead of flashing?

My home was made in 1948 and has been owned by more than a few people who didn't quite know what they were doing. A few things in this house have been strange or not installed correctly but I'm a little puzzled by a lack of any metal flashing, and what looks like tar instead. Large globs of black tar in the valleys and where vertical surfaces meet horizontal. This would be all well and good but the tar is old and is starting to pull away from the vertical surfaces and I'm getting leaks. Would I remove the old tar? If so whats the best way to do that? Would I just add more tar? Would I have to replace it with flashing? Im hoping to find the most effective way to fix this without having to replace my roof.

giser3546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by giser3546 View Post
My home was made in 1948 and has been owned by more than a few people who didn't quite know what they were doing. A few things in this house have been strange or not installed correctly but I'm a little puzzled by a lack of any metal flashing, and what looks like tar instead. Large globs of black tar in the valleys and where vertical surfaces meet horizontal. This would be all well and good but the tar is old and is starting to pull away from the vertical surfaces and I'm getting leaks. Would I remove the old tar? If so whats the best way to do that? Would I just add more tar? Would I have to replace it with flashing? Im hoping to find the most effective way to fix this without having to replace my roof.
If it's not leaking or you are not replacing the roof then leave it be. If you want to add flashing when you replace the roof, go for it. When you start tinkering with things that are old (and wrong), but work, you can quickly find yourself replacing a lot more than you anticipated initially.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cibula11 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-20-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

While you save for a roof, get up there every 3-6 months to look for places where the tar or caulk is wearing away and re-apply it as smoothly as you can. If it is doing the job, it is doing the job. However a properly installed roof should require minimal maintenance through most of its usable life. One that depends on tars and caulks as a primary layer of waterproofing needs regular maintenance and monitoring to keep those water barriers intact.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
CRCA Roofing Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

As the others recommend, I would say proper maintenance is the key for now. Constantly check those problem areas and reapply sealant if necessary. Keep in mind that if you plan on living in the home for an extended period of time, when you decide to replace your roof proper metal flashing is a must.
RoofingTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
Roofers Advice

Rewards Points: 10

Do you know the age of the roof?

Do you have any pictures?
Roofers Advice is offline   Reply With Quote