Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Tar paper vs no paper

I was just watching "Bob Villa" demonstrating how to lay a roof the stater and then the first course , now in his video on YouTube he shows not putting any felt down according to the other guy in the video who was actually doing the roof. He says it's perfectly fine not to put any felt down...Wow..I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. Why would he even suggest that, How does everyone else feel. I am preparing to reroof my house in the next 3-8 days or so.

GRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #2

Tar paper vs no paper

Many shingle mfg instructions say that underlayment is required to meet the UL Class A fire rating. It doesn't make since not to put it on. I actually prefer the synthetics to 15 or 30 lb felts.

But there a many millions of square feet of roof that don't have paper or ice and water of any kind. (Old slate or metal roofs)

roofnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #3

Tar paper vs no paper

I would agreee with you..and as far as the fire rating.. I bet the insur. co. would have a field day denieing the claim I bet.
GRed is offline   Reply With Quote