Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tar and Gravel roof leaking

We had 3-4 days of rain here in New England last week and i noticed water leaking through the ceiling of the den that has a flat roof just above it. Roof is tar and gravel.

Is this something that can be fixed or should I just go for a new roof.

heehaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

It really depends on why it is leaking, besides the obvious, that water is getting in.

Can you take some photos and post them here to view and discuss. There may be a simple fix and it may not be something that is noticeable.

How old is the roof and when is the last time a professional flat roofer did any maintenance to it?

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ed, thanks for the prompt response. I bought the house around this time last year. Roof is old but I have no idea how old it is. We had lot of rains earlier this year but didnt notice any leaks until last week.

Today I went up on the roof and did notice that one area had lost lot of gravel . Also noticed a lot of sand and grave in the gutters.

Will take pictures tomorrow and post them. is there anything in particular that i should take pictures of?
heehaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Usually, the actual flat surface areas where there are no protrusions such as pipes or curbs will not leak unless there is something very severely deteriorated that jumps out at you.

The prime candidates to take photos of are if the flat roof ties into either a shingle sloped roof or a vertical wall. Take pictures of the tie in areas and the flashing materials.

Also, take pictures of the overhanging edge details. Is there a sheet metal product called a gravel stop on there? If so, does the asphalt material still remain bonded to it? Can you find areas where the roof material has little open pockets under the edges?

Are there any stress cracks in the top layer of the asphalt flood coat where the gravel aggregate is embedded into it? This would occur from expansion and contraction of the structure and the decking sub-surface.

So, edges, walls, close up of the most deteriorated flat section that is getting exposed and a whole overview shot of the entire roof in one picture for a frame of reference and one even with the roof surface depicting if there is any slope at all on the roof surface or if it is dead level flat.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 12-11-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Also Look For Bubbles That May Have Been Broken By Foot Traffic

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote