TAMKO Shingles - Michigan House - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

TAMKO Shingles - Michigan House

Michigan home near Detroit. I've never heard of TAMKO Shingles. Last roof I had to buy was 17 yrs ago when I lived in Dayton Ohio was Owens Corning. Have also heard of Certainteed. Totally uncommitted on this. Roofer I want to use comes highly recomended from a good friend that had roofer do his house 10 years ago, and the company has been in buisnees for 37yrs.
What type of shingle should I get for South Eastern Michigan?
House was build in early 1960/late 1959,the roof pitch is not very steep but architectural are what I now see being used in the neighborhood.
Any suggestions or advise needed. Thanks,

Advertisement

Jasmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

A roof is only as good as the crew doing the work. Tamko has been around for almost 70 years. One of the older companies in the industry. As for these stories about Hurricane Sandy, etc. causing leaks on roofs, that has a lot to do with how the material was put down, and what was placed under the actual shingles.

Get at least three bids, do not go with the cheapest or most expensive, but go with the crew that will give you some jobs that you can go look at. You biggest problem with be with having a lot of scam companies in your area, that may not stand by their work, and will take the money and run, so buyer beware.

As for the Detroit area, you really are looking at the fact that it may not be worth putting a lot into the home, but you do at least want the roof, windows and doors to stand up to the weather, and not allow the structure to fall down.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Tamko heritage 30 ar is a respectable shingle. Definately your wallet will appreciate it. If you would like to spend more. Certainteed Landmark. I would expect a great price living by Detroit. Guys should be looking for work.

Last edited by 747; 09-25-2013 at 12:25 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,164

I put Tamko shingles on my home, barn, second home, and my wife's folks home, as well as some others, and have no qualms at all with them. Like Greg though, I would be more concerned with choosing a good and reputable company than with the brand of shingles they use. Yes, there are various opinions on various lines of shingles, but, in my opinion, it is the installers, who take the proper steps in preparing and installing a new roof, and who ultimately provide the satisfaction and longevity. And like Greg, I always recommend getting 3 bids, at least on "capital" purchases. I have even suggested this to my own customers when I have felt they were uncertain. I sell quality products and services, and I want them to feel good about their decision. It's not like shopping for a DVD or whatever on the internet, because you are not looking for the lowest price. You are looking for the best price, which may or may not be the lowest, but it is a purchase that you will hopefully live with for a long time, worry free.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote