Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

T & G roof repairs

Hi folks. I have an old house built in the early 40's. It has a cedar T & G roof. The boards are seperating and I'm getting water leaks where shigle nails have missed the boards. And of course I found this out after the kitchen ceiling started showing water stains!

So my question is, how can I fix the gaps between the T & G boards. Is there anything I can apply from the inside? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Mikehd08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,054

T & G roof repairs

Got a picture of this roof?
No way is a few missed nails causing the leak, really old shingles?
There is no fixing it from outside.
If the roof was stripped I'd suggest going over the whole roof with a layer of 1/2 OSB or plywood.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #3

T & G roof repairs

Thanks Joe....the shingles are only about 7-8 years old. From the inside, up in the attic, i can see the water dripping right at the gap between boards. I agree the proper way to fix this old roof would be to put new plywood over it and new shingles. But it's almost winter here and we can't do this until spring so I'm looking for a temporary fix until then. Could I use any of the brush on roof patch stuff that comes in cans? I'm thinking 'anything' that can fill in the gaps for now. It's about a 2 sq ft area so not a big space.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #4

T & G roof repairs

I would remove the shingles and tar paper in that area, Cut out the T& G at least enough so the patch will span two rafters and no narrower then 24" then Add two layers of paper or better Storm and ice shield and reinstall new shingles.
I suggest it's not the cracks because it's possible to lay shingles without even any tar paper and not have it leak. If they over drove the shingles and blew the nails through them that may be why it's leaking.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #5

T & G roof repairs

I suspect thats exactly why it's leaking Joe. I'm sure the nails are thru the shingles and right into the gap between boards. Like I said, given the weather here I have to look at an indoor fix from the attic side. That's why I thought about just filling the gaps. In the spring I plan on getting the whole thing done properly.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #6

T & G roof repairs

It's impossible to fix on the inside!
kwikfishron (10-26-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,500

T & G roof repairs

Flex seal...?

No...not really. Joe is right.

Last edited by Windows on Wash; 10-26-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,196

T & G roof repairs

As JoeC has mentioned a couple of times now (and I'll take it a step further). THERE IS NO, zero, nada even the slightest chance no matter how hard you search the net or want to believe that infomercial that you can even temporarily solve this from the inside.

The ONLY thing you can do from the inside is place the bucket in the right spot.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-26-2013)
Old 10-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,196

T & G roof repairs

[QUOTE=Windows on Wash;1258421]Flex seal...?

That's funny...I just did a roof to wall leaker, when I showed up there was a black stripe running up the base of the siding and the white 3-tab. A 60 year old lady got on that roof and sprayed that stripe. The only winner was whoever collected that $19.95 + s/h.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,030

T & G roof repairs

Have you owned this house for a while? Chances are someone put a hole in your roof putting up lights, or nailing in a cable to a satellite dish etc. Chances are your T&G is yellow pine or fir, not cedar, but maybe you are right. Does it have that great cedar smell?

I would just go up there with a wonder bar, some felt and a hand full of shingles and fix the leak. If the area is not too big you can usually get away with a piece of 24 gage galvanized steel sheet on top for support, and some wood blocking between the rafters below, it really just depends on how extensive the problem is.

Pictures always help, just shoot it from below.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote