Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Supposedly 'new' roof is leaking

I just bought this house in baldwin long Island, I was told that roof was a year old , but it was an estate/ pre-foreclosure sale and it was pretty much sold as is,so I couldn't get any paperwork on the roof from the court trustee , well first rain fall and what do you know it appears to be leaking around the attic which was converted into a bedroom, the kitchen and some other places, I dont really know too much about this stuff, I believe the roof is made of asphalt shingles , I spoke to the general contractor and he said i'll probably need to replace the roof for $8000 or more but he knows someone who can do it for a little less, my problem is ,he seems to be a regular Job - we agreed on a fixed sum for general repairs but now he is telling me the washers are bad I'll need new pipes it will cost a lot, when I ask him to be specific about the pipes (my impression was washers cost a dollar or so, and I shouldn't need to replace the pipes) He gets all vague and gloomy, he offers to show me but the truth is, as I said I know nothing about this stuff, I feel stuck because I've already paid a lot of money , I don't know if a roofer I pick out of the yellow pages is going to do what I suspect he is doing - stiff me into paying for unneccesary work. Can anyone tell me how I can determine if what is needed is sealing , roof repair,or re-roofing. This dream house is rapidly morphing into a nightmare. I'm sorry if this post is so long but I am scared that at this rate I 'll be forced in to major financial distress before I even move in

beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Can you post photos of the roof from the exterior?
Can you post photos of the roof from the interior (attic)?
can you post photos of the pipe? Is it copper?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

if the roof is leaking in several spots you got more problems than some simple sealing.being new to the area I would maybe ask some of the neighbors about a reputable roofer.
pictures would really help alot.
roofwiz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks guys,
I will try and do that when I go down this weekend
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote