Suggestions On Shingles - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 297

Suggestions on shingles

My mom is looking at having a new roof put on her home in Texas. They are looking at shingles, two of the roofers wanted to use Owens Corning, but OC got pretty bad reviews. I am wondering what suggestions you guys have. The quality is more important than the cost for her and she lives off a lake that might have stronger winds at times

Advertisement

Solaritu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 50

Suggestions on shingles

Owens Corning is fine, but you want to go with their higher end shingles like the Duration which are better made and have a reinforced nailing strip, then make sure the roofer installs them with 6 nails per shingle and they'll hold up as good as any other shingle. The biggest variable on roofs by far is really the installation, a bad roofer can use the best materials you can get and you'll end up with a troublesome roof, so pick a roofer with the best reputation and have them install the best shingles they prefer to work with.

Advertisement

troyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 643

Suggestions on shingles

Just get more quotes if you aren't satisfied with what you have heard so far. For a job as $$ as a new roof don't hesitate to get lots of quotes. You will find that each roofer is sort of tied to a brand of shingle that they are trained in and prefer.

Definitely upgrade to architectural shingles (10-20% more) over standard three-tab shingles, they look much better. You can probably also get quotes from roofers that will use GAF or Certainteed shingles, they are both good.

Just to see the difference between three-tab and architectural shingles, look at the Home Depot or Lowes website for pictures.

To help decide which bid to take, ask around the neighborhood wherever you see an obviously new roof. Check a company out on the local BBB website.
ChuckF. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,760

Suggestions on shingles

Architectural for sure. Easier and faster to install, last longer. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,008

Suggestions on shingles

Shingle failure is pretty rare so you likely won't go wrong with OC, GAF or Certainteed.
As troykc said the installer is really more important. 99.9% of peoples problams are installation issues which the manufacturer has nothing to do with. If you wake up in the middle of the night with a leak around a skylight or chimney or side wall its the guy who did the work that is responsible.
Around my area workmanship generally comes with a 10 year guarantee. A workmanship warranty is NOT the same as a material warranty. One comes from the installer one comes from the shingle manufacturer.
Finally, he switched to a bone saw to finish the job, and at 9:17 p.m., Mountain time, the head of the greatest hitter who ever lived had been sliced off.
craig11152 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,352

Suggestions on shingles

Lighter colored shingles- some savings, pp.10, 11; http://www.floridabuilding.org/FBC/p...eportFinal.pdf

Gary
Old 07-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,662

Suggestions on shingles

Don't take roofer's word for it. Ask the neighbor, try to remember. How many layers of shingles are on the roof? Is the roof ok for even a second layer?
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,941

Suggestions on shingles

IMO, One should never do a nail-over. Remove old, solve any problems, install new.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 6,044

Suggestions on shingles

I would always pull it as well if it were me.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote