Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

sub-roof for hot roof?

I have a question about a hot roof problem in cold climate. The problem I have is Ice Build up in the winter over 2/3 of the roof deck. We have a cathedral ceiling with probably medium insulation but we get a ton of snow so there is ice buildup resulting in ice dams.
Local roofer suggest a sub-roof by laying fir strips over the old roof deck after shingles are removed. I can not find any information on Sub Roofs or this process. Will there be moisture build up in the 1" space between decks? if there is moisture how do you keep that out of the interior dry wall ceiling. Or will moisture not be an issue. Is this an alternative process to improve venting?

niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 138

sub-roof for hot roof?

I do not see where that's going to do anything to stop the real problum.
Lack of insulation and proper venting is the real problum.
One way around it would be if he suggested using SIP panels on the roof.
Google it.
Since you chose to not add your location to your profile it's hard to give a real answer.
Go to Quick links to edit.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

sub-roof for hot roof?

Thank you for the imput. I should have put in I am in Northen Michigan. Although it doesn't get real hot here I am worried about the Moisture build up. I saw once what could happen if roof vents are plugged and moisture can build fast and then you have a real problem!
The sub roof deck over the old roof deck will have a 1" open space with venting top and bottom and gable end vents also, and I got a good price quote for it. I'm not sure I can economically add more insulation as I don't want this to be a real expensive project. My biggest concern is moisture in between the sub roof and main roof is making me nervouse to go back to doing a convetinal roof shingle job and just live with the Ice build up. I don't want to make bigger problems with the double deck or sub roofs as I have never heard of double roof deck or sub-roof with cathederal ceilings.
niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

sub-roof for hot roof?

You need to create a cavity space over your existing insulated deck that allows outdoor air to travel up and out the ridge vent. This will take 2 x 2 sleepers placed over D226 felt that run from eaves to ridge, New deck and new roof, fully vented eaves, and good ridge vent. Turn your compact warm roof into a cold roof. No more ice.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote