Stucco Tyvek Overlaying Old Tyvek Housewrap - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2015, 07:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 432

Stucco Tyvek overlaying old Tyvek housewrap

Here in Texas we will not have the same issues with stucco as they do up north. However I do have an initial Tyvek housewrap layer that got damaged in a mini twister...ripped half of it off. In the emergency case since rain was due that evening, I used an off brand to patch it. Now I want to put stucco wrap over all of it before the felt back panels go on for the stucco.

Does anybody know if this will make any difference in the curing of the stucco, to have such a patchwork under laying the stucco wrap, which is looking pretty good once it's up.

Otherwise i could tear all the old stuff down on that side, but would be dealing with lots of holes from Stinger staple/caps and I used to secure it all.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement

Last edited by onjtrainee; 07-14-2015 at 07:52 AM.
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,750

No worries either way. Ron

Advertisement

ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
No worries either way. Ron
I wound up tearing all the underlayment off. Just looked too funky...I know..It will never be seen once the stucco is up...and surprisingly, the OSB still looked pretty good dispite the extended time up. Pretty impressed by that.

I did notice water wicked up from the bottom of the OSB about 5 inches, splashing up from the rock ledge during rains. Not sure if leaving a space between the stucco wrap and the ledge will help or hinder the drying out process coming from that.

I guess the stucco will get flashed with weep screed or something....but does that extend past the rockledge? (In case anybody is wondering, we could't find the rock we wanted so have switched to stucco)
onjtrainee is offline   Reply With Quote