Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #1

Share |

Strip and install new roofs

I think this is a question for people that do roofing for a living.

I've helped friends do their roofs and have gotten pretty good it but not for a living.

Word has gotten around that I do them and people have offered to pay me to do theirs. But my problem is...I have no idea how much to charge!

Is there some sort of graph or timetable based on how many sqft to cover that gives you guys a price? I'm NOT looking to make a killing or a career out of it. But in the last week I've had 3 people ask me for a number so I can do theirs.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by cornick; 11-03-2009 at 09:56 AM.
cornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #2

This really isn't a forum for pricing work but most roof contractors around here are between 250 and 350 a square for everything. If you just want hourly laborers wages then it'd be considerably less - maybe 15$ an hour. Shooting out a per square price can get you in trouble if one roof is a steep cut up monster and another a 4/12 simple gable. Bottom line is you need to be able to estimate how long it will take to do a specific roof, what your expenses will be and what you want to make for your trouble.

Other important things: Do you have liability insurance? Will you pay w/c? FICA? Do you need a license?

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #3
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Be careful. Liability insurance for roofers is pretty significant. And rightly so, because if their work leaks, they're liable for damages and repairs to other parts of the structure. I've seen roofers get slapped with claims for hundreds of thousands of dollars on one single job. Also workers comp insurance for roofers carries one of the highest rates in residential construction. If you fall off your friend's roof (or if you have a helper helping you and they get hurt), or you/they drop a hammer on someone's head, who pays for the hospital bill?

Also, in most if not all areas, if you get caught by the town doing a roof without a permit and without insurance, or without state registration/license, you get fined pretty hard. And with construction as slow as it is, the inspectors in my area are openly out on the prowl, looking for unpermited work.

These are significant little mines in the minefield that is the construction industry, and not to be taken lightly.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote