Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Storing shingles on roof

Almost ready to start my roof. The shingles arrive Saturday and I will be reroofing starting next Wednesday. The weather all week is to be between 70 to 80 degrees with no rain. I know the shingle bundles should not be stored over the ridge but what is the best way to stack them on the roof. Roof is a 4/12 pitch.

Supplier is bringing elevator and will get them up on to roof but I have to stack them.Thanks.

GerryinBelleRiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
MJW

Rewards Points: 0

Storing shingles on roof

Put one down and start the next one level, then stack up. It's best to just make stacks, not piles, so you can stack them on the opposite side of the roof where you want to start. Make sure you leave an opening in your stacks to walk through. You can stack them 5-6 high with no problems.

Usually when you lay out the bundles you want them 4 ft up and 4 ft apart, so use that for a guide as to how long your roof is from eave to ridge.

Then when you do one side and finished you can move the few bundles left to the finished side and they are out of your way.

We usually tear off the top 3 feet and ridge, then tar paper and stack them there. Then you won't have to move them more than once.

Elevators suck though. Make sure you have some help, and be prepared for a quick work out.

MJW is offline   Reply With Quote