Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

stone coated steel and spray foam insulation

My wife and I are entering into the planning stages to build a new house. The house will be built in Florida and we are interested in making it as resistant to hurricanes as possible. We are interested in a stone coated steel roofing system for the hurricane resistance and heat reflection properties. Given the heat we also experience in FL I am interested in foam insulation for the underside of the roof deck. Are there issues concerning applying a stone coated steel roof over top of a deck that is foam insulated from under neath? My reason for asking about this is because I have heard that the spray foam in essence creates a conditioned space in the attic that would make sense not to vent and may create substantial differences between the inside and outside of the decking (I.E. swelling and contraction). Do you know if the attic space should be considered as part of the conditioned space with the AC system so as to alleviate any concerns with swelling / contraction of the decking and roof system? I have looked at the ASHRAE article on this vented nonvented space discussion but it hasn't answered any of my questions.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thx.

Chris

waternut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

yes this is the current wisdom i believe,but i would vent the space between the roof decking and the roofing
,are you using the ''Spanish tile'' metal roofing? i think that gets installed on horizontal nailers

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

The stone coated shingles are usually screwed straight to the decking tom. I agree with using a breathable underlayment like GAF deck armor, or even felt.

Quote:
I have heard that the spray foam in essence creates a conditioned space in the attic that would make sense not to vent and may create substantial differences between the inside and outside of the decking (I.E. swelling and contraction). Do you know if the attic space should be considered as part of the conditioned space with the AC system so as to alleviate any concerns with swelling / contraction of the decking and roof system?
Correct that you don't need ventilation. There won't be a substantial difference between the outside of the decking and the underside of the decking, as osb/plywood is not a good insulator. The exterior side of the foam stays the same temp as outside air, and the interior side stays the same temp as the attic.

If the attic needs to be conditioned it's definitely not for the benefit of the roof decking. I can't say for sure that it doesn't need to be, but I highly doubt it.
jmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmiller For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (01-15-2011)