Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:39 PM   #1

Share |

Is it still worth cutting in the ridge vent?

There is a small section of my roof that I am debating on whether to add ventilation. There has never been any ventilation in this small section. I really do not knot what it is called, but it is a raised part of the roof that spans 8 feet wide by maybe 8ft. It is a cathedral ceiling with insulation packed in between the drywall and sheathing. It is fiberglass insulation. If I could get to it, I could fit foam baffles in it. I just do not have the time to rip the plywood up. There are hurricanes looming and I need to finish this last section asap. My two options at this point are to cut a ridge vent in anyway or to leave it with no vent. The insulation doesn't have a gap, but it isn't compressed by any means. It may have a 1/2 in gap, but I'm not sure. What would you guys do? I really don't want to risk having a possible ridge vent leak, if I do not get any benefits from adding the vent. It does have 100 percent soffits at that section. The rest of the house has ridge vents running the entire span.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Remodeler

I see no point in cutting one in if you have no breathable soffits, and it is probably full of insulation. Too bad it wasn't thought of before hand so you could have had a breathable roof.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinConst View Post
I see no point in cutting one in if you have no breathable soffits, and it is probably full of insulation. Too bad it wasn't thought of before hand so you could have had a breathable roof.
It has 100 percent soffits. It just doesn't have that much of an air gap. It may have a 1/2in gap. The insulation isn't stuffed in there by any means. I was planning on ripping up the plywood and adding baffles, but I can't run the risk of a hurricane damaging the house.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
Remodeler

If your concerned about opening the ridge right now why not just wait until the season is over. A ridge vent can be added later.

MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #5

A 1/2" air space may not even be continuously 1/2", o decide if you want to correct that spacing and make it a 2" minimum air space throughout or leave it alone. The rodge vent would only work for the amount of air that can travel upwards, so as it stands now, only 25 % of the air flow can even get to it.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote