Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Still hoping to get comparison info on GAF vs Landmark

Hello,
I've heard people say good things about GAF asphalt shingles and Certainteed Landmark/landmark premium. Are they comparable companies? Any reason to go with one versus the other?

Is it okay to do a ridge vent with a whole house attic fan?

Last edited by macnic7; 06-12-2008 at 12:01 PM.
macnic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Both shingle companies are well known and highly regarded. 6 of one and a half a dozen of the other, as far as various opinions as to which is better.

Most would give a slight edge to the Certainteed landmarks, but someone else may say differently.

Yes, it is okay to have a ridge vent to assist in the expelling of the air created when the whole house fan gets switched on, pumping the interior air into the attic. The more soffit vents and exhaust vents, the better.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Which is better Nike or Addidas? Both make shoes for every budget. Me personally I prefer Certainteed over FAG, however both have their issues. In my opinion GAF is a more costly shingle only because they keep buying up every competitor on the market, and have been for 5 or so years now. They have to re-coop their investments. So they are charging more for their product while not making changes to their product to warrant the increases.

In addition GAF just bought out Elk and have totally re-engineered their product offerings so I am staying away completely from GAF until other contractors use their customers as the guinea pigs. If there are failures due to these complete re-engineerings, I don't want those head aches.

Plus how can you trust a DIY shingle, sold at home depot?

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #4

Thanks for responding. I talked to the roofer we are going with and after all this, he is going to use Tamko (sp?) shingles. When I look at the stats I don't think they are as highly rated as the Certainteed, but I respect the guy who did the quote, and trust that he knows the product well enough to say it will do the job.
There are so many variables, espcecially with an older home and removing an ancient slate roof, that I wanted someone who would be really forthright with all the problems we may find below the surface...
Again, thanks for taking time to respond.

macnic7
macnic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Do it right or I'll do it

As a GAF Master Elite Contractor and a CertainTeed Master Shingle Applicator, I would say that the two shingles are very comprable. It does depend on what line of shingles you are talking about. But overall, They are both great shingles. I prefer the Certainteed but I install more GAF at this time (well I dont install, I sell more GAF)

I would look at the price comparisons when making your decision?
ramroof is offline   Reply With Quote