Stick To Engineered Truss - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stick To Engineered Truss

I am considering on going from a stick built roof from 1964 to tearing off the roof and installing trusses. It is a hip style roof on a 1-story home. The the square footage of the house and attached garage is 1200. I would like to get some input on doing this remodel, and any tips.
thanks,
Jeff

Advertisement

bt446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:29 AM   #2
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Why? And I am not being smart here, what is the purpose of taking a roof off and replacing the framing?

What area are you in? Typically a hip type roof has a girder truss where it changes from commons to the jacks for the hip, girder trusses generally require some form of transfer from the top plate to the foundation. Do you know where these girders are sitting yet, is there support there or are you removing all walls to do this and adding support members?

As you can see it can be a fully loaded question with lots of answers, specifics will help.

There are several theories to stick vs truss, like the men vs the boys, some will say only a real carpenter knows how to stick frame and any one can do trusses, there is some truth to that, but at the same time trusses are engineered and calc'd out, factory built and generally faster to install.

Each has pros and cons. With today's open concept building trusses usually make the most sense as people want no walls and it can be a difficult and daunting task with stick and the cost of engineered beams to carry oversized distances. But at the same time when the weather is nice it's fun to get up there and hand cut a roof. Changes in trusses can be costly after the fact, stick needs a little thought process and you can do it. Try an add a 4x4 skylight to a truss roof -- after the trusses arrive, stick frame -- no problem, order a few more rafters from the lumber yard.

Do you have enough clearance and access for A) the trusses B) the possible need for a crane to lift them up (Watch for overhead wires)

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2007, 03:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

If I was in a position where I owned a ranch style house, and had to tear off the roof and framing, I'd use that opportunity to modernize the hip roof framing to a tall peaked gable roof (think cape-cod style) to allow for future expansion.

Do you realize that a typical stick framed ranch is almost identical to a cape? Add a staircase and viola... room for 2 bedrooms and a bath.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

I would probably lean more to a 2 story ranch(hi ranch)vs a cape style as most capes are cathedral ceiling,and it`s very tough to insulate them properly,---Personally I would prefer the stick frame construction for the strength factor--Chris does make valid points here

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

I don't think you realize what a job that is All the ceilings may have to come out, is the A/C in the attic or the ducts for it, are there pipes for plumbing, or electrical wiring this is not a easy thing so get some pro help to decide.
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote