Step Flashing Around Chimney... - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
Garage Flooring Pro

Rewards Points: 10

Step flashing around chimney...

Hi All,

I am getting some water in one of my upstairs bedrooms and I'm pretty sure it's from the chimney area of the roof leaking...

This isn't my area of expertise, so I spoke with a friend and he took a look at the chimney area. He told me that the chimney was not properly step-flashed and that that is probably the source of the water.

My question is, can I step flash the chimney without tearing up the surrounding roofing by slipping the flashing into place or will I need to rip up the shingles in the area? Has anyone tried to do this with shingles already in place?

Thanks in advance!

Roy
Flooring for Garage

Advertisement

GarageFloorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

I'm not a roofer by trade, but have done step-flashing on home repairs, being taught my an Uncle who had a roofing company for years. NO, you cannot properly install step flashing with the shingles on the roof. Depending on the age, and condition of your existing shingles, you may be able to remove them to properly install the step flashing. Step flashing must be co-ordinated with placing the shingles back on (or new shingles) in a "step" fashion to properly prevent leakage. One part overlaps another to create a way for water to run off properly.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

if it wasnt leaking why is it leaking now would be my approach. have sealants failed where flashing ties to chimney, is there a cricket ? pics would help
Old 02-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

I just did a long run up the side of my house yesterday. I believe it can be done with the shingles in place. Did the roofer cut into the mortar to place the existing flashing? Is there any flashing in place? Does the back side of the chimney have a cricket?
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageFloorGuy View Post
Hi All,

I am getting some water in one of my upstairs bedrooms and I'm pretty sure it's from the chimney area of the roof leaking...

This isn't my area of expertise, so I spoke with a friend and he took a look at the chimney area. He told me that the chimney was not properly step-flashed and that that is probably the source of the water.

My question is, can I step flash the chimney without tearing up the surrounding roofing by slipping the flashing into place or will I need to rip up the shingles in the area? Has anyone tried to do this with shingles already in place?

Thanks in advance!

Roy
Flooring for Garage
Flashing a chimney is a 2 step process. The step flashing goes under the shingles, which should just slide in unless the roof/ brick connection was sealed with tar or caulk or ...
Then you need to counter flash into the chimney and over the step flashing.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,038

Yep, as others said; http://www.rumford.com/chimneys/flashing.html

Gary
Old 02-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
HVAC Installer

Rewards Points: 10

This can be done with out ripping off the shigles. However, you need to get someone up there who knows what he is doing. There are a lot of fly by nights out there who clam to know what they are doing, when in fact they may just make your problem worse.

Advertisement

LukeROttinger is offline   Reply With Quote