Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #1

Share |

steel under shingles

I have a steel roof at the moment which leaks pretty bad i went up and inspected it and it looks to be in pretty bad shape i have never worked with steel so i figured i would put shingles on the question i have is would it be ok to just put my plywood sheeting over the steel than shingle over that

orlockorlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
General Contractor

steel under shingles

You are starting a whole set of issues without being sure of the problem. First, why is the roof leaking? Damaged panels? Fasteners? Wht not repair/replace the metal roof instead of going to a composite roof? What is the structure like?

Photos would help.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:06 AM   #3

steel under shingles

Hi

If you put plywood directly over tin you will not have adequate ventillation for the wood in the roof, and it will likely rot out much sooner than hoped for. Metal rooves are relatively expensive, but if properly installed should outlast shingles many times over. Also, I have done some metal roofing, and once the supporting structure is in place the actual roofing goes very quickly, and can be done by one person in many cases.I agree with joasis, you need to assess the problems with the existing roof. If the panels are not rotted out maybe it is issues with the original installation.

Gerry
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #4

steel under shingles

Also, the most significant aspect of any metal roof covering is how the tie-ins and flashings were done.

If you do a layover, and reutilize the existing flashings, you have not solved any problems at all, just moved them up one layer.

More details are required for a better and more precise answer and as Joasis requested, if you can post some photos too, that would be helpful to ascertain the situation more readily rather than guess.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #5

steel under shingles

well the problem with it is there are small holes all over and there is one major leak which is down near the base of the roof ill try to get some pics and get them posted
Old 05-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #6

steel under shingles

here are some pictures of the roof wasn't sure if there was anything i could do to repair it (patch major spots heavely coat it with moble home fiberglass or aluminum roofing paint) just let me know what my options are

the second to last 2 pics are of the major leak
Attached Thumbnails
steel under shingles-1.jpg   steel under shingles-2.jpg   steel under shingles-3.jpg   steel under shingles-4.jpg   steel under shingles-5.jpg  

Old 05-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #7

steel under shingles

If there are pin holes through-out the entire roof paneling system, then the under-lying decking has certainly suffered the consequences of ongoing saturation and would probably not make a good base for applying a new roof system.

If an interior view could be explored, under the existing steel panels and decking, that would tell you a little more about your potential options.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
General Contractor

steel under shingles

What the pictures look to me like, is a roof that has reached the end of it's life....that profile of metal was common on farm buildings around my area in the '30s and '40s.......the best solution, in my opinion, is to simply install a new steel roof...then 50 or 60 years from now, it will be someone elses problem.

Removing the metal as it exists now will also allow you to repair any damage caused by the leaks and installing the new roof will be a breeze.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #9

steel under shingles

I agree with Ed the Roofer. The steel looks pretty far gone. As he suggests, the next step is to assess the underlying structure to see if it is still sound, or at least can be repaired.

Gerry

Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote