Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #1

Share |

steel roof question

i have a steel roof, from about 1982, galvanize. it has only a couple very small holes in it which can be repaired easily with rtv or something like it.
the question i have is what can i place on this roof to help with the heat that it puts out in the summer?
i assume that there is something like cool roof or something that i can use.
one other thing this roof is very steep so it would have to adhere directly on contact or it might become a real mess.
thanks for any help.
Attached Images

kindrngentlr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #2
General Contractor

steel roof question

I suppose you understand basic physics...the metal will gain heat from the sun, plain and simple. "CoolRoof" type of white, latex sealants do not magically make the heat bounce off into space, they reflect less heat then the metal surface does.

What I am guessing is your concern is that the heat build up in the grain bin, right? The only practical way to eliminate heat from the bin is to use a spray foam inside, and then what would you use it for?

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #3

steel roof question

well the plan right now is to make a livable space out of it, i am just beginning this project so will take some time but looking at all options.
do you do spray foam insulation?
kindrngentlr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #4

steel roof question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrngentlr13 View Post
well the plan right now is to make a livable space out of it, i am just beginning this project so will take some time but looking at all options.
do you do spray foam insulation?
Heres a good link WWW.Soythane.com
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer

steel roof question

Other than the SoyThane option, all these 'repair/coating options you are comptemplating are temporary in nature. Are you sure you want a temporary roof over your living space? ANy savings will be lost with furniture/collectible/trim/flooring/woodwork damage.

I'd investigate cool roofing and build the top accordingly and use white painted steel for the new roof.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #6

steel roof question

Another option, depending upon the guage thickness of the metal roof material currently in place, is to have a contractor install a mechanically attached poly-isocyanurate rigid insulation board down to the roof metal and then encapsulate the insulation with a white thermoplastic single ply membrane roof material.

IB Roofing Systems and Duro-Last Roofing Systems manufacture materials that would both be good candidates for that project.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote