Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2009, 12:18 AM   #1

Share |

Starter course & roofing cement

We're building our own house, in the tropics (read: hurricane belt) and getting ready to shingle our 4/12 hip roof. I've read that some recommend smearing the starter course underside & first course underside with roofing cement. Others say dallops on both, others say nails only is fine. As high winds here are a major concern, I'd appreciate any input. We're using GAF Prestique40 shingles over 30# felt with Grace W/I at the hips & ridge. Many Thanks.

caybound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Buy 25 year 3-tab shingles and cut 4 1/2" off the tabs. Install dripedge. Hang the shingles about 1" past the DE. Nail the shingles as low as possible. This will put 2 sealing strips right on the bottom of the roof.

I assume you're installing I&W before the DE? And wrapped down about an inch?

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:32 AM   #3

Already bought the Prestique40 shingles. I&W on hips & ridge only as, um, ice is not a problem here. DE is "T" type. We're concerned about too much overhang as 1) we get HEAVY rains and often see water overshooting people's gutters (and we catch rainwater for the cistern) & 2) it's always the first course that gets ripped off in tropical storms/hurricanes, which then gives the wind "a way in".
We've been in the Tropics for 11 years and have seen many roof failures. We're happy to put in any xtra work that might keep our shingles on during the inevitable blow. Every year will bring high winds, even w/o a hurricane, which we know weakens the shingles bit by bit.
Thanks for your input - much appreciated.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Commercial Roofing

I think if you follow the Florida roofing code, you will be well off.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #5

Honestly, we consider "code" to be the minumum. We know the Dade County specs but were hoping to get some opinions from the guys who REALLY know what happens out there. I'll take the opinion of a guy who sees roof failures, and what causes them, year after year over an an engineer with computer models.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Commercial Roofing

Ok, then cement the starter course down.

Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote