Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #1

Share |

staples showing on the roof

the guy that cleaned my gutter said that my roof has areas where the shingle staples are sticking out - I am confused and perplexed as I did not know about staples as I thought the shingles are set in with special roof nails - what should I do - I live in rainy Portland and do not want to find a surprise leak as I just spent lots of money on yard and crawl space drainage - I am a new home owner and not so savvy about home maintenance and rely solely on professionals, who so far have only taken advantage of me by either over charging or doing bad work! Please help me know what to do and who to contact. Thanks.

notanexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:52 AM   #2

it does not have anything to do with my question and I need true advice here - please refrain from posting replies that do not pertain to the questions!!!!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanexpert View Post
it does not have anything to do with my question and I need true advice here - please refrain from posting replies that do not pertain to the questions!!!!
Since you're not an expert, you should probably hire an expert, unless you are willing to climb up to the roof and check for yourself.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #4

Red face

Quote:
Falling on deaf ears

The post you're so all riled up about is probably the work of some spammer in China or India, and the chance of them taking your rebuke seriously is not very high
Anti-wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-wingnut For This Useful Post:
notanexpert (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
the guy that cleaned my gutter said that my roof has areas where the shingle staples are sticking out - I am confused and perplexed as I did not know about staples as I thought the shingles are set in with special roof nails
The type of roofing fasteners used depends on the age of the house and the age and type of the roofing materials. My Puget Sound house originally had three tab composition roofing stapled on in 1985.

I would also suggest that you re- examine what was exactly said and meant. It is common for both nails and staples to extend thru the sheathing and show up on the underside of the eaves. Is this what was meant? If so, you have no issue. Gutter cleaners are not typically experts on many fields of forensic construction.

Quote:
I am a new home owner and not so savvy about home maintenance and rely solely on professionals, who so far have only taken advantage of me by either over charging or doing bad work!
Why do you say this? Are these facts, or really the result of sticker shock of the realities of home ownership.

Was you home inspected prior to sale by a professional () home inspector? If so, and if he had been able to get on the roof, he should have noticed if staples where showing on the weather side of the roof,

So try to figure out what is going on before you get angry and blame everybody for an issue which may not exist
Anti-wingnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #6

Quote:
the guy that cleaned my gutter said that my roof has areas where the shingle staples are sticking out - I am confused and perplexed as I did not know about staples as I thought the shingles are set in with special roof nails - what should I do - I live in rainy Portland and do not want to find a surprise leak as I just spent lots of money on yard and crawl space drainage - I am a new home owner and not so savvy about home maintenance and rely solely on professionals, who so far have only taken advantage of me by either over charging or doing bad work! Please help me know what to do and who to contact. Thanks.
Did you get 3 estimate, with proof of libility insurance, WC, performance bond and CCB #? Did you get references and check the references? http://www.ccb.state.or.us/ If you did not hire a licensed contractor,you might call the CCB. Just don't expect much. They really don't seem to care if you got screwed
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Did you get 3 estimate, with proof of libility insurance, WC, performance bond and CCB #? Did you get references and check the references? http://www.ccb.state.or.us/ If you did not hire a licensed contractor,you might call the CCB. Just don't expect much. They really don't seem to care if you got screwed
Yes, for all you guys out there, you may not know how hard it is to be a single middle aged disabled woman and people can take advantage. Firstly I had a botched inspection with an inspector referred by the RE agent because they were to hasty to wait a few day for my inspector which is a good one. The guy was real big and could not get around many places including attic and crawl space and he claimed to have gotten on the roof before we got there. I have already dealt with him with the CCC but besides agreeing to pay for another inspection months after the house was already purchases as things take time, I was at a loss as I had to fork over $13K that I had not planned to since as buyers we all have to sign a waiver of liability upon inspection and cannot sue them for the damage - I also had underhanded sellers that did not disclose some important issues and blatantly lied, which I will need to deal in small claim court as I cannot afford legal fees. As far as getting bids, I always get at least 3 bids on each job but that did not safeguard me from faulty contractors who either have not done a complete job as requested or have done poor workmanship. The only contractor that was professional, thorough and trustworthy was the drainage contractor that installed the French drain in the crawl space perimeter and the yard. The general contractor told me things that were not corret and failed to take care of some important things that were needed and did poor workmanship and did not stand by his word of correcting it. The mold remediator charged additionally for a sealant to be applied all over the attic and the crawl space, only and again to find out later that it was not done everywhere and when I tried to contact them there was no reply and then found out they went out of business only after a few weeks of servicing me and now filed bankruptcy. FYI he was not the cheapest other, only the most reliable as it seemed, family business and all. I did my homework on all of them prior to hiring them with the BBB and other entities. So as you can all see, I do feel disappointed and somewhat angry as I should be. I was merely trying to get some expert advise in a forum that seems to be helpful to others in order to save myself some grief, pain and being swindled by hungry contractors. Believe you me, if I was more mobile and able, I would get on the roof myself, or crawl space or attic so as to see what is going on and to check on people's work, but I can't. I do not have handy friends either that can help out and this is why I am here. I thank everyone that has answered in a helpful way and in a concerned or advising way and I am not blaming anyone, merely stating the facts of my new ownership ordeals.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
The type of roofing fasteners used depends on the age of the house and the age and type of the roofing materials. My Puget Sound house originally had three tab composition roofing stapled on in 1985.

I would also suggest that you re- examine what was exactly said and meant. It is common for both nails and staples to extend thru the sheathing and show up on the underside of the eaves. Is this what was meant? If so, you have no issue. Gutter cleaners are not typically experts on many fields of forensic construction.

Why do you say this? Are these facts, or really the result of sticker shock of the realities of home ownership.

Was you home inspected prior to sale by a professional () home inspector? If so, and if he had been able to get on the roof, he should have noticed if staples where showing on the weather side of the roof,

So try to figure out what is going on before you get angry and blame everybody for an issue which may not exist

Please see my reply to the last post. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #9

Time to coantct the CCB. At one time I had contact information for one person at CCB. He had been a drywall contractor in La Grande, who lost work to unlicensed people. He tookhis job at CCB seriously. http://www.ccb.state.or.us/CCB/contact_us.shtml

Make the call. Keep notes of who, when and what you talk about. Send copies of contracts. Theroretically, licensed contractors are supposed to have performance bonds to protect the consumer. The bonding company is supposed to pay up to the limits of whatever the bond is. Their problem is tracking the hack down and collecting, that is not your problem.

Keep on the CCB, they get money from me every year to take care of problems like yours.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Time to coantct the CCB. At one time I had contact information for one person at CCB. He had been a drywall contractor in La Grande, who lost work to unlicensed people. He tookhis job at CCB seriously. http://www.ccb.state.or.us/CCB/contact_us.shtml

Make the call. Keep notes of who, when and what you talk about. Send copies of contracts. Theroretically, licensed contractors are supposed to have performance bonds to protect the consumer. The bonding company is supposed to pay up to the limits of whatever the bond is. Their problem is tracking the hack down and collecting, that is not your problem.

Keep on the CCB, they get money from me every year to take care of problems like yours.
for the mold contractor I need to first find out if I still can do that as I just received a notice stating he is filing bankruptcy and we are not to contact them or try to collect them in any way or we may be in violation of the bankruptcy law and can get penalized (never heard of that but will contact the bankruptcy court/lawyer and inquire further). I am not one to take things lightly as I like to see justice prevail if not for me for other people in the future. Thanks for the advice and link. Take care.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
Doing This Way Too Long

If it is staples protruding through the shingles on your roofdeck it is one of two things. First, but not likely, is that your existing roof was stapled and some of the staples were not seated properly.
Second, something I have seen on more than one occasion and think is more likely the problem. When your existing roof was installed, the old shingles were stapled and the tearoff crew did not remove all the staples after the tearoff. It was dried in and shingled over an improperly prepped deck and those staples are sticking through your existing roof.

Or someone face-stapled the shingles to hold them down...
Or someone went in the attic and pounded them back because they didn't want to get poked (seen that too)

It's really hard to say without pictures and/or being there.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
If it is staples protruding through the shingles on your roofdeck it is one of two things. First, but not likely, is that your existing roof was stapled and some of the staples were not seated properly.
Second, something I have seen on more than one occasion and think is more likely the problem. When your existing roof was installed, the old shingles were stapled and the tearoff crew did not remove all the staples after the tearoff. It was dried in and shingled over an improperly prepped deck and those staples are sticking through your existing roof.

Or someone face-stapled the shingles to hold them down...
Or someone went in the attic and pounded them back because they didn't want to get poked (seen that too)

It's really hard to say without pictures and/or being there.
lots of info here - thanks - hard for me to take pictures - I will try to see if a friend of mine can do that soon and if so, I will post them - either way, my concern is potential of any leaks into from the roof into the attic and if there is no risk, I will wait until next year to have someone check the roof inside out as I spent already too much money and am maxed out - but if there is that potential I will have someone check it asap! thanks again.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
Doing This Way Too Long

Not wise to give predictions without seeing it but
IF it is what I am picturing, with a normal Portland winter as long as your roof pitch is decent, short-term damage will more than likely be minimal. Long-term...well, don't let it go long term.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
notanexpert (12-04-2010)