Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
Rav

Rewards Points: 150

Standing water in gutters

We just had our roof replaced, and also had new gutters installed (6" seamless .032 K-style aluminum gutters using hidden hangers). After the recent days of heavy rains, I took a look at each section of gutter. On some of them there was some standing water, with some debris in it, at the end opposite the downspout. It was perhaps as much as 1/4 inch, enough that it was visible and would ripple if I tapped on the gutter. I called the company that installed them, and although they agreed they would come out and take a look, they said an amount that small was not a problem. I disagreed, citing concern about mosquitoes, odor, and debris build-up. Should I insist that these gutters be re-sloped? If so, how big a job is that, and can it be done without damaging the gutters or the fascia, or is this truly not a problem?

Rav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,228

Gutter companies have no control over the house construction process for being level nor any control over how much and how un-even a structure may settle over a period of time. Take a close look to see if correction measures are even possible.

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 694

If they were just installed id say it's fair enough to have them fix them. You paid for them and you are unhappy. On the other side, that's not a whole lot of water and 1/4 will evaporate in less then a day with a good sun shine. My old gutters on my house hold about 1" of ganuals and 1/2" of water in between. I don't worry about them that much. Although they aren't new.

The thing is if they readjust them there will be extra holes in the fascia, wrap and drip edge. All possible points of entry for water. I'd leave it be for 1/4".
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

1/4 inch is not a problem, and not uncommon. Gutters don't always evacuate every last drop of water. And over sloping can cause other problems, decreasing the holding capacity of the gutter and causing it to be more easily overwhelmed in a down pour. As long as they are evacuating water at a steady rate without over flowing during rains I wouldn't make a big deal of it.

Last edited by eharri3; 05-02-2014 at 01:22 PM.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 550

If they pitch the gutter too much it will look bad. If it cant be re-pitched to function and look good then I would think about adding a DS.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote