Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:48 AM   #1

Share |

Standing seam metal or membrane for 1.4/12 pitch shed roof?

I am not sure which to use for the low pitch of my shed roof house. I am in a canyon with some high wind at times, and fair amount of snow in the winter. (could be a few feet). Any advise on which and why would be much appreciated.

The roof pitch is 1'4"/12'

The standing seam I am considering is a 24 guage structural steel roof with a 2" high seam.

Thanks

regulajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #2

Due to the winds and the snow, probably a fully adhered single ply membrane would be the best scenario.

That is almost dead level flat and wind could blow rain through the top j-channel if not installed perfectly correct and even snow and ice could back up and find all penetrations.

If you still decide to use the metal panel standing seam roof, have a 100 % coverage with the premium version of Grace Ice and Water shield under the panels and up along the wall tie in joints.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #3

Ed,

Thanks for the reply, the proposal I have for the metal is with ice and water shield underneath the entire roof. 3600 sq. ft.

Another consideration, which system would be better when used along with a rainwater collection tank?

Steve
Old 06-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #4

Will the water be used for potable consumption, or for watering needs?

Some single ply membranes "chalk" the exterior surface of the membrane. Is it unhealty? I don't know.

Conversely, I would only assume that a properly baked on finish on a high quality standing seam metal panel would not release its coating materials in such a manner, but that would best be answered by the manufacturer, once you establish what the waters ontended purpose is for.

Ed
Old 06-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #5

Ed,

No it is not for postable use. It will be used for landscape irrigation, and possibly toilets and washing machine.

That is my only hesitation with the membrane roof. That, and my wife thinks they are inferior, like putting a plastic bag over the house. Ha!

Steve
Old 06-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #6

In your area, check with Duro-Last, 1 (800) 248-0280 to find the local certified contractor/dealers who could provide you with 3 quotes.

I have found that to be an exceptionally good product.

Also, as an alternative, if you sustain heavy winds, consider a fully adhered EPDM, (Rubber) roof membrane. They also make them in a white membrane for better reflectivity and UV deflection.

Both the Duro-Last and the white EPDM are very bright on a sunny day, so if that will be an annoyance if their is a lower roof deck below some exterior windows, take that into consideration.

For a metal standing seam panel system in your area, contact Berridge Metal Corporation for a list of installers.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 06-08-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #7

Standing seam will not work for that low of a pitch. A metal roof would have to be flat locked and solder seams. there is lead in solder. In the carribean they used the roof water for drinking on some of the islands and they go with a PVC single ply like Sarnafil. it is a clean roof with heat welded seams and reflects the UV nicely.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #8

Jim,

He already stated that the standing seam roof quote he was considering utilized a full coverage of Ice and Water Shield under the entire panel system.

Ed
Old 06-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
Commercial Roofing

Im with jim on this one due to the slope.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #10

Full Ice & water or not standing seam even with caulking in the double lock is not a good choice. over time its going to leak. Ice and water is great stuff but its not magic and is no substitute for proven common sence roofing practice. Also if you do a metal roof with full I&W you have to remember to install a slip sheet of red rosin paper as a buffer, otherwise with expansion and contraction the metal will buckel like crazy hell, and your joints will pop. Its a good idea to install rosin felt under all metal roofs.

RooferJim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
Old 06-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #11
Commercial Roofing

Flatlock and solder. Jim is right again. I am thinking IWS would be destroyed under a soldered seam.

What do you think, Jim?

My metal installs are limited to about ten.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #12

Hi Aaron, you can solder it no problem with a rosin felt slip sheet. if not no way. it would bleed into the seam and contaminate your joint. We are old school and use irons. makes a better seam.

Rooferjim
www.jbennetteroofing.com
Old 06-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #13
Commercial Roofing

I have never used the irons per say...the propane powered with no pot, yes, but not the old school hot pot type. Have done soem with torches, but usually on galv.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #14

Guys,

Thanks for the informative discussion here, I don't know what rosen paper (felt) is, but I'm guessing it is something above the IW shield that the metal would not stick to.

The roof is 52' from the top to bottom end of the low slope, so oil canning on a long stetch like that is also a concern.

One of the installers in my area suggested an IB roof rather than an IPDM or TPO said it is weldable and repairable for a longer peroid of time by staying flexible for a longer time than TPO.

Wife still thinks a metal roof is best. It doesn't matter to me, I want the roof that will perform the best for us, and not give trouble.

Thanks again everyone,
Steve
Old 06-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #15

Red Rosin paper is a 3 foot wide roll of "butcher wrap" type paper. Just to keep from sticking together.

IB Roof Systems is a knock off of the Duro-Last that I mentioned earlier. Which ever company has more contractors in your area will probably determine which company will get you the best price.

Personally, I would go with the Duro-Last. They manufacture all their own components and have about a 30 year track record.

Ed