Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Splintered Sheathing At Ridge - How to Repair?

While adding ridge vents, I made a very unpleasant discovery.

The roof is standard construction (OSB sheathing, felt/"tar paper" underlayment, architectural shingles). When the roof was installed at construction, it looks like the full sheets of OSB ended approximately 6" below the ridge, so the roofers finished the last few inches up to the ridge with a narrow strip. When I cut out my 3" section either side of the ridge beam, the remaining strip on one side (now about half the original width) broke in several places (I wondered why some of the ridge cap nails went in WAY too easy) . This leaves nothing holding the nails in the top row or two of shingles, as well as the ridge caps on the vents, except the shingles themselves and the felt.

Would it be feasible to repair this as follows: Cut another strip of plywood or OSB to the same width (approx 3"), screw sections of 1x3 or 2x3 to the back side (leaving gaps for the rafters), and slide it in under the existing felt & shingles after removing nails in the affected zone, re-nail the top row of shingles (and seal any holes as needed)?

If the basic concept is feasible, there are probably snags - am I likely to encounter felt nails in that area? If so, I'd probably have to pull the top row of shingles in order to remove the felt nails. If I'm careful removing them, could they be reused? Any other likely snags?

Thanks in advance for advice/insight!

texasprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,430

I wouldn’t mess with the osb, just nail into the rafters.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #3

I think you're missing the crucial support issue - "This leaves nothing holding the nails in the top row or two of shingles, as well as the ridge caps on the vents, except the shingles themselves and the felt."

Do I not have to have wood under the continuous length of the ridge vents (20 feet) so the shingle & ridge cap nails have something to bite into between the rafters?

Last edited by texasprd; 06-05-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,430

I guess I did miss that.

Either block out the rafters with 2x4 (not 1x) on the flat for nailing the strip or remove a coarse of shingles replace the osb with at least a 6-8” piece.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
texasprd (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #5

No problem - you just had me questioning my sanity & perception of the problem for a bit...
Old 06-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Unfortunately your problem is not that uncommon. Nor is it an easy fix to do properly. Any osb on a roof should be no narrower than the rafter spacing. In other words 16" I'm assuming on yours. Anything less and it's going to bust out under any weight.

At this point if it's feasible to access, one option would be to toe-nail blocking underneath between the rafters to support the existing, even the broken areas. Of course you will encounter roofing nails the whole length. You can snip them fairly close with horse nippers.

Or the easier solution is to climb off your roof and never look up again.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
texasprd (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
the easier solution is to climb off your roof and never look up again.
That's kind of like the sign on the wall at my dentist that says "ignore your teeth and they will go away"... I wish I could just do that - but we will get rain again some day (hopefully, not before I get this resolved), and if I don't deal with the roof, I'll be looking up to see the rain dripping though my ceiling!!

"Any osb on a roof should be no narrower than the rafter spacing" - too bad the jacklegs that did this roof didn't observe that. Not the first shortcut we've found in regard to the areas above the ceiling, either. The rafters are on 24" centers, so that's a lot to peel off & rebuild - it'll probably have to be done on both sides of the ridge, so a major ouch in the wallet! Oldnbroke's blocking idea is very tempting in comparison. It's similar to, but better, than my original idea - I didn't consider toeing in the blocking.

Last edited by texasprd; 06-05-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

You aren't alone in your problem. I see it all the time. People just don't stop and think, or they don't care. It's just common sense really.
I'm pretty sure you have an idea how major the proper fix would be for this. Remove top two or three feet of shingles, rip the existing sheeting and install new. Then re-roof it.
I feel for ya man.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #9

I think it's "don't care" mixed with "slap it up and get on to the next job". We are the second owners - what really makes me wonder is that the builder was supposedly a "family friend" of the original owners. Some friend (he left both ends of the attic uninsulated because they were on the other side of raised ceilings and had no direct access - the original owners never figured out why there was a 10-degree diff from one end to the other).

I absolutely understand how major the proper fix would be. While I much prefer doing things the right way, in this case I'm leaning toward the "blocking" solution. If I can do that, and get the ridge vents established and ridge-capped, I won't be up in that area of the roof again any time soon! It can sit there undisturbed until re-roof time.

Thanks for your understanding!

Last edited by texasprd; 06-05-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

you could try blocking the rafters so you have something to nail into. otherwise your doomed to rip off the top 3 rows and re sheet to the right height for your ridge venting. careful in the attic space tho. (may step in the wrong spot :P thats something you need to watch out for specially with blown insulation.)

Last edited by Serious Roofer; 06-07-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Serious Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

If it were mine, I would remove 24" or so, of shingles. Chaulk a line 24" down from the ridge. Run a saw cut the full length and remove the old OSB.
Then I would replace the OSB with plywood, cut to a 24" width.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote