Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #1

Share |

Spacing between plywood?

I just had a hip roof constructed on a small detached workshop. The rafters are 16" OC and the deck is 15/32" 5 ply CDX, 4:12 pitch. I'm very happy with the roof, which has not yet been shingled. I noticed that a lot of the plywood sheets butt tight together, while others have a small gap of about 1/8".

I've read that there should be spacing between the sheets of ply. Can someone tell me if I need to kerf the roof decking to achieve the spacing? I intend to use #15 felt with asphalt shingles. This is in California, very mild climate.

Thanks.

RM575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #2

Spacing between plywood?

typically the sheets should have 1/8" gap between them (width of shaft of 8d common nail) for expansion. measure the sheet that is butted tight and see if it is 96" x 48". if it's over that means it has absorbed some moisture and expanded already.

I'm sure you'll get better answers from the roofing experts.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #3

Spacing between plywood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
typically the sheets should have 1/8" gap between them (width of shaft of 8d common nail) for expansion. measure the sheet that is butted tight and see if it is 96" x 48". if it's over that means it has absorbed some moisture and expanded already.

I'm sure you'll get better answers from the roofing experts.
The plywood was installed 13 days ago and today I measured the 48" width. It looks like it is 1/32" wider. The 96" length was cut down, so I have no real reference point on the long side.

Should I expect further expansion? If this is about the max expansion, then I won't worry about it.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #4

Spacing between plywood?

CDX plywood is "sized for spacing", read the ink stamp on the underside: http://www.apawood.org/pablog/index....f-plywood#more You could get more swelling- possibly. Especially with a roof leak though in a shed you would see that. The long-edge gap is important or it could buckle. Both are... even dangerous if not in OSB, fig. 14: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...on?full_view=1

Gary
Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #5

Spacing between plywood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
CDX plywood is "sized for spacing", read the ink stamp on the underside: http://www.apawood.org/pablog/index....f-plywood#more You could get more swelling- possibly. Especially with a roof leak though in a shed you would see that. The long-edge gap is important or it could buckle. Both are... even dangerous if not in OSB, fig. 14: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...on?full_view=1

Gary

I checked my plywood and it does not have "sized for spacing" on the label. Also, I'll be hanging drywall on the joists, so the only way I'll notice a leak is when the it appears on the drywall.

This is a 11' x 15' workshop with 4:12 hip, so not a lot of work to kerf some spaces. I think I'll do that and then not worry about.