Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Some advise please!

Ok so my dad is coming down tomorrow so him, myself and my brothers can do my roof. I was not really aware a permit needed to get pulled if we did it. I mean I sort of knew but was given some (what now seems to be bad) advice. I was told as long as I completed to job over the weekend I should be good. I am NOW being told by someone else that when I get the inspection they will ask for the permit ad if I donít have it that I would get fined about $2,000( I understand getting finedÖbut this much?!). This is a huge problem because I definitely donít have the money which is the reason we are doing it in the first place. And my dadís ticket and the materials have been purchased So waiting to get one is not really an option. If anyone know anything about this situation you input is greatly appreciated.

Roofing Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #2

Some advise please!

And by the way ..I live in florida in the Tampa Bay area

Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Some advise please!

So go get a permit if it's needed, you had all day, and all day tomorrow to get one.
Why try to get around getting one if it's needed? Only the building dept. can tell you if one's needed.
Silly to think any jobs done on the weekends are exempt from needing a permit, or you can get away with it. It's on the outside someone going to see it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Some advise please!

you need a permit. If the building department is made aware of the work you will get the fine. If you try to sell the house, the age of the roof will show no permit for the work done and you have problems. Why rush... the roof is to last 25 years or more. The inspection is to assure the work is done safely and correctly.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

Some advise please!

Wish we had a weekend exemption here. That would come in handy.
Here in N. Idaho you can kinda get away with that but down in Florida I think they are a bit more peculiar about their roofs. I hear the wind occasionally blows a little down there.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

Some advise please!

okay so if I go down to the city and request a permanent will it only take 1 day ?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #7

Some advise please!

Also is anyone aware if the fine is really that high ??
Old 03-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Doing This Way Too Long

Some advise please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofing Project View Post
Also is anyone aware if the fine is really that high ??
Another question best answered by your bldg dept.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
Roofmaster417 (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Some advise please!

I am not telling you to break the law but in your area it is a final installation inspection.I would get the permit tommorow.They run an average of $25-$75.,if the fine is more than that you have lost and it should be considered expensive.

If you send me pictures of your roof from the roof and a front,left side,right side and rear.,along with a material list and I can instruct you how to install your roof resulting in passing your inspection and saving any run ins with the building department.

The only way you will not get caught is if you never plan on selling your house ever or you never plan on filing an insurance claim on the exterior.You can do what you want but I would buy a permit,,obey the requirements from your city,state and building department.

I have roofed a little under 1000 homes in Florida.Marion,Seminole,Orange,Lake,Osceola and Palm Beach Counties.Final inspections,dry ins and 3 stage and never had a single issue with the inspections or the building departments in any county in Florida..

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-22-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

Some advise please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
I am not telling you to break the law but in your area it is a final installation inspection.I would get the permit tommorow.They run an average of $25-$75.,if the fine is more than that you have lost and it should be considered expensive.

If you send me pictures of your roof from the roof and a front,left side,right side and rear.,along with a material list and I can instruct you how to install your roof resulting in passing your inspection and saving any run ins with the building department.

The only way you will not get caught is if you never plan on selling your house ever or you never plan on filing an insurance claim on the exterior.You can do what you want but I would buy a permit,,obey the requirements from your city,state and building department.

I have roofed a little under 1000 homes in Florida.Marion,Seminole,Orange,Lake,Osceola and Palm Beach Counties.Final inspections,dry ins and 3 stage and never had a single issue with the inspections or the building departments in any county in Florida..

Roof looks great but the inspector wants to see your plywood...now what ?

I think you should get a permit, why risk fighting the Building Dept...i feel your gonna lose that battle and end up paying more in the long run.

Andy
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
RFN-4A-LVN

Some advise please!

Tampa is a single.,final inspection area.You pull the permit install your roof then call for an inspection.A single "Final" inspection is very simple if you have a semi solid roofing back ground and you can read.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-22-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
Doing This Way Too Long

Some advise please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
Tampa is a single.,final inspection area.You pull the permit install your roof then call for an inspection.A single "Final" inspection is very simple if you have a semi solid roofing back ground and you can read.
Then apparently what he needs to do is simple. Pull the permit tomorrow, roof it over the weekend, call for final on Monday. Doesn't sound too complicated or expensive.

From what I read on the forums I was always under the impression that Florida wanted to see every step of the way. Sounds like it isn't much different than around here though.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

Some advise please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Then apparently what he needs to do is simple. Pull the permit tomorrow, roof it over the weekend, call for final on Monday. Doesn't sound too complicated or expensive.

From what I read on the forums I was always under the impression that Florida wanted to see every step of the way. Sounds like it isn't much different than around here though.
+1

Hell i figured you needed a pre, in progress and a final. You got it easy
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #14
RFN-4A-LVN

Some advise please!

From Orlando North(not including) Its a process of pull the permit.,install the roof then call for an inspection.The inspector checks exposure,nail pattern,valley;s,penetrations,ridge directions,drip edge lap,overhang and step flashing.

Orlando South to around Lake Okeechobee You have a 2 stage.,Dry in and final,Dry in is felt installation drip edge,valleys,button cap placement,felt overlap,sidelap,hip roof-roof plane overlay then once that is passed then you proceed then upon completion you call for a final.Then the final is inspected.

Palm Beach south is 3 stage,,Decking/substrate,,dry in then final.

The inspectors check everything and I mean everything.If its wrong then it has to go.I have seen other companies complete roofs then have them fail and they are required to tear it off and try again.

I seen the same crew tear a roof off 2 times.We were in the neighborhood and I felt for the guy and we sat in with them and helped them install their roof.Generally I won't climb someone elses project but I could not sit back and watch this guy eat 3 roofs.It was a $14,000.00 roof.,He was $28,000.00 into the job and he still had to tear it off again.

The building department not only requires a permit but it also requires a notice of commencment.With that you submit material lists and any other types of installations with your reroof.It is much more than not pulling a permit.Florida obviously has some strict guidelines due to the threats of high velocity winds with tornados and hurricanes.Florida also has a $25,000.00 homeowners fund.

If a homeowner is screwed by a contractor then they apply to this fund and can be reinbursed up to $25,000.00.It is imperative to obey the requirements by the building departments.So this poster should pull a permit and file a notice of commencment.These funds and requirements are in place to help the citizens of Florida.

Florida also will pay for your windshield if any damage was incurred on anyone of their highways.The only requirement is proper insurance.I had 5 windshield replaced for free by the great sunshine state.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
RFN-4A-LVN

Some advise please!

O.k.,Taking bets on whether a permit and notice of commencment was filed today ???.,Hahahahahahaha,,,,,Me thinks not